Bwana George

Super16 & 2/3 Video Lenses on HD DSLR ??

I have an experimental project coming up, and I will use special lenses, designed and built many years ago, which I will adapt to a DSLR camera. These lenses were made for Super16 or 2/3 Video and I must use them on a DSLR camera that shoots 1080p HD video.

Hopefully these lenses will fill the frame WITHOUT vignetting, or at least come close enough to be cropped out in post.

I was considering the Canon 5D, but because of its full size sensor, the cropping in post would be severe.

Hopefully, this DSLR camera will be able to render better quality video with its smaller sensor, than the Canon 5D would do “cropped” in post. If not, it would be better to just use the 5D.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which “DSLR Camera” might just accomplish this? It MUST be a DSLR.

Thanks.

Well, no promises on whether you'll vignette or not - S16 lenses project to the S16 format which is smaller than FF or even S35. Your best bet is probably the Panasonic GH1, which was the first DSLR to get the PL treatment. It doesn't have the best dynamic range, or highest resolution by itself; but look around and you'll find a new hack for it that uses an MJPEG codec and provides a pretty impressive image. If you don't know, the GH1 uses Panasonic's 4/3 sensor which is smaller than APS-C on the 7D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_system

Yes, the Four Thirds system would be your best bet, but given how much larger even this sensor is compared than Super 16 or 2/3" I wouldn't bet on it. You can only really test this yourself to find out if the end result is acceptable.

Regardless, I don't think anyone could pass comment on this without even knowing the actual lenses you're planning to use on a DSLR, the safest answer is no you can't.

This is where the Scarlet 2/3" with interchangeable mounts could work wonders. Alas, it seems to be now permanently stuck in drawing-board limbo. Maybe it'll see the light of day someday . . .

http://www.ikonoskop.com/dii/

I think the ikonoskop dll is going to beat the scarlett to reality. It has a super 16mm sensor and would fit the super 16mm perfectly. I have been very impressed with some of the images I've seen from the test cameras, however they still haven't released it.

http://www.ikonoskop.com/dii/

I think the ikonoskop dll is going to beat the scarlett to reality. It has a super 16mm sensor and would fit the super 16mm perfectly. I have been very impressed with some of the images I've seen from the test cameras, however they still haven't released it.

I'd forgotten about this camera. I love that it seems to have an optical viewfinder and its reduced size. Don't like the price and that it sports a CCD imager, which are generally far more noisy than CMOS sensors. Wonder if the Kinetta will ever come out . . .