What on earth is happening to Steadicam

Phil Rhodes

Well, it was a 16mm Bolex. It's not like it was a moviecam or Panaflex. It wasn't my shoot.

What I'm saying in my previous post is that at the time you couldn't build and sell one because the patent was still in force, unless you were going to use it yourself.

I'm referring to present day issues. Even given the expiration of patients and the ease of information retrieval on the 'net, the fabrication and machining does require some skill.... Unless you're able to make a very respectable copy of the Steadicam, who would be foolish enough to allow an "expensive" camera to be mounted on a home brew unit?

• Premium Member

With all due respect, the glut of low-end rigs and wannabe operators is not Tiffen's fault.

Mark Schlicher, SOC

You're absolutely correct. What I should have said is that some people/companies (no specific company) have had a habit in the past of telling anyone and everyone that took a workshop that they could be a working professional steadicam operator at the end of the workshop. And they were more than happy to sell them a rig, by the way. As most of us know, it takes a whole hell of a lot more than knowing how to build and fly a rig to be a steadicam operator.

• Premium Member

I was originally going to reply to Brads very considered opinion but i've got a horrible feeling this thread is going to get ugly with some way off the mark posts. Reminds me of the Steadicam forum............... :( :( :( :( :( :(

We have moderators now, so fire away. If it gets silly it can be fixed very quickly.

• Premium Member

I'm referring to present day issues. Even given the expiration of patients and the ease of information retrieval on the 'net, the fabrication and machining does require some skill.... Unless you're able to make a very respectable copy of the Steadicam, who would be foolish enough to allow an "expensive" camera to be mounted on a home brew unit?

Law enforcement officer / security actor / faux movie director / faux AD for Pixar, Steven Liu.

3 more nearly new sleds up for sale in just one week!!

This economic downturn seems to be hitting a lot of people very hard. Does any operator know if the recession of the late 80's saw a similar sale of steadicams?

In the late 80's there were probably only 20 or so operators in the US and Steadicam use was growing rapidly. So, no panic selling that I remember...