Some interesting consumer 3D products from Fujifilm

Karel Bata

I love this camera http://www.fujifilm.com/products/3d/camera/finepix_real3dw1/ The quality may not be great, but the fact that it does it at all, and allows you to view without glasses on the lenticular screen is amazing! :D

Now they have a monitor to go with it http://www.fujifilm.com/products/3d/viewer/finepix_real3dv1/features/index.html No glasses!

Products like these begin to address the question of how an enthusiastic newbie would ever get a chance of trying his/her hand at 3D. Up to now there was no way of of just picking up a 3D rig and 'having a go' like you can with a consumer 2D camera. Now you can. Of course it's very limited in what it can do, but that's so much better than the nothing we've had so far.

My 2p again. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

ooohhhhh..... liking that fuji......

don't forget the new panasonic 3D camcorder

seems to be around a prosumer level camera.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Camcorders/model.HDC-SDT750K_11002_7000000000000005702

I assume the Fuji monitor that has no need for glasses uses something like parallax barrier technology? (thanks, wikipedia!)

PBT only works if you are in the exact right position relative to the monitor.

but, hey, affordable 3D.

• 1 month later...

I love this camera http://www.fujifilm.com/products/3d/camera/finepix_real3dw1/ The quality may not be great, but the fact that it does it at all, and allows you to view without glasses on the lenticular screen is amazing! :D

Now they have a monitor to go with it http://www.fujifilm.com/products/3d/viewer/finepix_real3dv1/features/index.html No glasses!

Products like these begin to address the question of how an enthusiastic newbie would ever get a chance of trying his/her hand at 3D. Up to now there was no way of of just picking up a 3D rig and 'having a go' like you can with a consumer 2D camera. Now you can. Of course it's very limited in what it can do, but that's so much better than the nothing we've had so far.

My 2p again. ;)

The problem with 3D is that all your equipment has to be 100% compatible 3D TV. When will it end?

• Premium Member

What's the situation with home projection of 3D?

I had the opportunity to look at some 3D (a section of Avatar and a CG kids' thing) in a consumer electronics place yesterday; the technology appeared to be cross polarization on a TFT display. It ghosted like crap and gave me a headache.

P

There lies a major problem. Ghosting, or image lag. The other is Cross Talk, when images meant for the left eye and images meant for the right eye suddenly switch over. This can cause stuttering and those head aches you mentioned. It looks like manufacturers are looking at using passive (like the cinema) rather than active shutter (home 3D) as this method has better images, is cheaper (glasses are same as cinema)and has wider field of vision.

• Premium Member

Good, innovative 3D technology needs face- / bodytracking. You will be able to see a little behind things when you move your head. This needs to be invented. It plays back i.e 3-4 videostreams for each eye and blends them while tracking your head or eye positions. This will need a high end computer thus making it more realizeable for the home market. I can't say if this technology needs polarized glass or anything but i think that this is the step to make 3D finally work. Anyways, I don't need 3D. It distracts from the essence of the whole thing: storytelling. It is just the same formal discussion as film versus HD.

• 4 months later...

Products like these begin to address the question of how an enthusiastic newbie would ever get a chance of trying his/her hand at 3D. Up to now there was no way of of just picking up a 3D rig and 'having a go' like you can with a consumer 2D camera.

Not quite. There was a bit of a 3D craze back in the 1950s and a number of stereo cameras were manufactured back then by quite a few different companies. Most of these cameras took 35mm film though I believe that at least one model exposed frames that could be inserted into a Viewmaster picture reel. In the early 80s, the Nimslo was introduced as an automatic snap shot stereo camera. That would have been one of the last stereo film cameras produced.

I have heard good things about Fuji's W3. It's well regarded by stereo enthusiasts. Though I have also heard that the image quality is only so-so.