HD Films Shot on Obsolete Formats and Cameras

Sanjit Majumdar

Hi,

I competed a feature length film titled DETERMINISM last August and now we've been struggling to finish all the paperwork over some issues with the talent. I fear that becayse the film was shot on a Sony FX-1 that the digital cinematography will now appear to look obsolete compared to all the amazing advancement in digital cinema in the past 2 years. Do you guys thinks audiences will object to our films look?

Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.determinismthemovie.com/theatrical.html

I'm now working on a Web Series shot on the Canon 7D which to me has much more superior look, but I don't want to dump this film DETERMINISM.

Best,

Sanjit Majumdar

The audiences will be worrying about things other than which camera format you used to make the film. If the story telling and performances are compelling the film will have a life, if not, regardless of which format you shot it on. IF the film is well photographed, they won't notice, especially if you're just putting it on the web.

What is it that you are worried about? It looks perfectly fine. Why are you considering dumping it? If you are interested in making films merely to work with the latest equipment, then dump it and move on. What quality about the 7D makes it superior? It is different, but superior?? Numbers of pixels et al mean nothing, truly nothing. Watching your trailer, I noticed very good composition and editing as well as contrast and color that got my attention. I would concentrate on a good story that means something, that someone who watches it will walk away knowing something they didn't before. Don't be like the hordes of gear heads that solely concern themselves with equipment. Story, story, story.

Sanjit,

Couple of things for you:

1. The FX1 was old hat two years ago - that's when I sold mine after several years of ownership... it was never a "top line" camera, so don't worry - you probably used the best thing you could!

2. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179904/technical

Bottom line, don't worry. Technology advances, we move on. Your film's quality will be its making, not its technical merits.

• 4 weeks later...

Sanjit,

Couple of things for you:

1. The FX1 was old hat two years ago - that's when I sold mine after several years of ownership... it was never a "top line" camera, so don't worry - you probably used the best thing you could!

2. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179904/technical

Bottom line, don't worry. Technology advances, we move on. Your film's quality will be its making, not its technical merits.

You guys are all probably right, I was just getting insecure about it being so low budget and all. I shouldn't dump the film. People really seem to like it but it's tough to find the right platform to show a feature film. Any ideas?