BBC Rates

What would a typical day rate be for a cinematographer on a non-fiction, documentary type shoot for the BBC? I realize that is a broad question with possibly quite different rates depending on the dop, the show, etc., but I'm just looking for some rough answers. Thanks all.

Travis

• Premium Member

As it happens I recevied a copy of the BECTU camera department rate card this very morning, and you can read it here:

http://www.bectu.org.uk/filegrab/1ratecard.camera.jul09.pdf?ref=337

However, I suspect that if you're in the position of having to ask that question on this forum, you may not be in a position to demand those rates.

P

BBC documentary rates tend not to be particularly high and there are regional variations. BECTU seem to have agreed a freelance rate with BBC Scotland, but I haven't seen the details. I know some BBC regions work out their freelance rate by the hour, rather than the day. The London rate is usually higher than the regional rate, which I suspect is reflected in the BECTU going rate. When I first heard them, I was surprised how low the BBC natural history rates were.

Often shooting BBC documentary programmes you tend to come with camera gear and that's the quoted figure.