What is the best format for the HVX 200/ night time shutter speed

Dustan Lewis McBain

dmac, you need to change your user name to be your real first and last name, as per the forum rules.

There isn't a definitive "best" format on the HVX. Each has its own pros and cons. Whether you are recording to MiniDV or P2 card (and what the capacity of your P2 card(s) is) will affect which format is best for your situation. From the standpoint of resolution alone, DVCPRO HD 1080i is the highest, though it will give you an interlaced image. DVCPRO HD 720p is the highest resolution progressive recording format on the HVX.

Any shutter angle will give you some degree of motion blur, even a "normal" 180 degree shutter. How much is acceptable is a decision that is based on personal preference and the requirements of your individual shooting situation.

Do some tests and find out what settings will work best for you.

• Premium Member

Yeah, the amount of blur at any shutter speed depends how fast the motion is. For a scene with little to no movement you could open the shutter to 1/24 or even 1/12 or 1/6 on the HVX. But actual film cameras won't go past 1/37 at 24fps, and the farther you get from there the more your image can take on video characteristics in regards to motion.

And the 1080 mode can be set to progressive, it's recording 24 progressive frames over 60 interlaced frames with pulldown. And it does in fact produce more detail than the 720 progressive mode will.

It's actually been over a year since I've used an HVX, but I seem to remember it only going up to 1080i. Is 1080p a new feature on the HVX-200a? I've only ever used the HVX-200.

And Dustan, thanks for changing your user name.

Edited by Matt Read

• Premium Member

The 1080 mode is standard on all the HVX models. It works the same way the trusty old DVX did with the pulldown. The 1080 mode doesn't have the option for slow motion frame rates, and the HVX isn't a great performer in the resolution department either, so people often just stick with 720.

• Premium Member

It's a shame that the HVX 1080 doesn't have the options that 720 does. You think in the near future 1080 will be as advanced as 720p?

Probably not possible on the HVX due to its hardware limitations. The other snafu is that the recording media would need to support writing the large amount of additional data, or the extra data would need to be heavily compressed to accommodate the limitations of the recording media.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not possible on the HVX due to its hardware limitations. The other snafu is that the recording media would need to support writing the large amount of additional data, or the extra data would need to be heavily compressed to accommodate the limitations of the recording media.

one day!