Sony NEX-V G10

Adrian Sierkowski

• Premium Member

So, from the facebooks I came across this, figured it might be of interest:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/14/sony-issues-nex-vg10-first-interchangeable-lens-hd-camcorder/

Glad to see sony enter the came with an interesting handycam camera using the same ideas as the 7D. Not crazy about the format... but I havn't worked with AVC-Intra yet- so we'll see.

Love the price point. Would make a great crash camera too and, I'll go there, probably put a bit of a nail in the Scarlet system

Thoughts, opinions?

• Premium Member

Yeah that does strike me as a bit odd.. though in theory they could as easily implement 24P recording as it's less info than 60i iirc. We'll see, I'm sure if they do that or not (or wait for a firmware upgrade). It's nice, though, to see them at least in the waters, and for 2K with a lens might be a worthwhile investment; though I'm not about to give up any of my other cameras to buy it!

• Premium Member

Yes but who wants a 1080i interlace camcorder?

This is exciting; an opportunity for me to agree with Thomas James. :-)

Actually, I would say, "Yes, but in 2010 who wants a camcorder _limited_ to 1080i recording _only_?"

Occasionally 1080i is useful, but these days a $2K US list price camcorder must offer much more (24p, 25p, 30p, 50p, 60p) in order to be competitive. However, I do award Sony a little star for including a headphone jack that can probably be used for audio monitoring while recording, unlike any current DSLR. Bless them.

Meanwhile, for a hair-raising read, refer to this related thread:

http://www.dvxuser.c...ad.php?t=216852

A spec sheet for this sad little camcorder is available from Sony's US website:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666239819#specifications

Just guessing here, but I'd reckon it's a progressive sensor at 29.97P in NTSC or 25P in PAL, but gets recorded in 59.54i or 50i. If you deinterlace it will give perfect progressive images. No doubt a progressive version will arrive soonish. Sony are well know for their market segmentation, using basically the same hardware targeting different users.

• 6 months later...

I just bought this camera and I personally love it, the microphone on it has a little bit of handling noise if you are using it hand held. But I purchased an H4N that I record external audio with and shoot with sync sound. the video quality is honestly amazing, its not a 5D but it is definitely a good image.

• 2 weeks later...