Mafer vs. Cardellini

Toby Orzano

How about a link to the manufacturer's website?

Hey JD,

This is Kupos website

http://www.stage.com.tw/

dont see their range of Cardellinis there. Maybe Steve sued them. Sure they still make them though.

They make great C-stands and combos. Never bought them, but played with them at Expos. I will be at Cinec in Munich. If I see their Cardellinis I will post a picture. Not nearly as good as the original though. However they do not get jammed when you overcrank them. Dont know how they solved that one. It was the first thing I tried when I got my hands on it.

Speaking of Cardellinis, have you tried the one with the adjustable 90 degree baby pin? It is incredible in tight rigging situations.

http://www.cardelliniclamp.com/inc/sdetail/185

Thanks Sanjay,

I was hoping that someone would post a website link for the 'Baby Bite" or "Baby Byte".

Hi JD,

Never used the Big Bite clamp myself - first time I'm hearing of it. But following Roberts picture link, it seems (not very clear in the picture) similar to the Rhino clamp in principle. Maybe Robert can clarify. You can get these from Gary at Doggicam.

Hope that helps.

Big Bytes are a lot larger than rhino clamps . They are also made of cast rather than machined from billet . I find they grab better than rhino clamps (It might be the size) and you also don't need a tool to use them . The only thing to remember is that the baby pin which threads into the big byte is threaded with a rh thread so when you grab something off axis perpendicular to the jaws you need to make sure you use right hand rule just like a c-stand . Maybe I'll do some tests to show the deflection of mafer clamps compared to big bytes and cardellinis . To me there really is no comparison .

How about a link to the manufacturer of the "big byte" or a distributor?

Just a tiny note: nothing is ever made from billet. Billet is an intermediate product of a mill, it's then re-heated and rolled to produce a standard shape: bar; rod; sheet; etc. Billets are sometimes sold to other mills for finishing, but never to a manufacturer/end user.

Big Bytes are sold by modern studio equipment . The guy from rhino told me they were billet aluminum . Of course that was a long time ago so maybe they are just machined now .

As stated by a previous poster, can't find the Big Byte is on the Modern website. Not on American Grip's site either.

The guy from Rhino was either pulling your chain or very ignorant. Nothing, nothing is ever made directly from billet, it's a marketing gimmick. "Chevy truck grills are machined from solid billet", pure B.S.

The guy from rhino

The guy from Rhino would be Gary from Doggicam. They are the inventors and patent holders of the Rhino clamp that I had posted a picture of. There is no company called Rhino that makes that particular clamp.

Doggicam is a great company, and I cannot recommend them strongly enough. True professionals who deliver on what they promise.

As stated by a previous poster, can't find the Big Byte is on the Modern website. Not on American Grip's site either.

The guy from Rhino was either pulling your chain or very ignorant. Nothing, nothing is ever made directly from billet, it's a marketing gimmick. "Chevy truck grills are machined from solid billet", pure B.S.

First, I think you are getting too far into semantics for this general conversation. No need to jump all over these guys for using a colloquial term. Nowadays, when someone says "billet", it's generally understood to be a machined piece of metal (or look like it was).

Second, while your definition of billet is technically correct, billet also refers to an end product sold to customers. In machine shops, billet refers to plain ole' bar stock in smaller chunks, usually chunks sized to be chucked directly into a standard lathe or milling machine. As a marketing term, it's used to describe a machined part instead of cast/forged/etc. So Gary from Doggicam was simply using it to explain that the clamp is machined from aluminum. If you want to be specific with semantics, the super-correct explanation would be that it is machined from aluminum billet. To a machinist, billet is a "proper" term nowadays.

Thanks for posting picture everyone. I'll have to pick up a couple of these and check them out.

Edited by Michael E Brown

Mafer...Cardellini. Hmmmm. Both have their respective uses. To dismiss one over the other is shortsighted. Needed a little kick the other day in an odd place. Grabbed a mafer, MicroPro and a Flexarm. Done. Don't think the Cardellini would have worked.

Mafer...Cardellini. Hmmmm. Both have their respective uses. To dismiss one over the other is shortsighted. Needed a little kick the other day in an odd place. Grabbed a mafer, MicroPro and a Flexarm. Done. Don't think the Cardellini would have worked.

Or as Mr. Natural always said, "Get the right tool for the right job"!

I don't think not wanting to use mafer clamps is a short sighted idea . I think that they might be handy if that is all you have (as far as small clamps go), but as I've mentioned before there are better devices out there now . I stopped using them a decade ago . I have not had any issues trying to rig anything without them in that time , so saying that the idea of not using them is shortsighted is I believe a shortsighted idea .

• 1 month later...

Mayfers have a few benefits over cardellinis in my opinon:

They can clamp to flat surfaces with use of the wedge insert

Most of them have built in 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 female threadings

Lighter

More compact

Swappable pins - I stick a piece a short 15mm rod into a mayfer when I don't want to mount my z-american arm on the camera. This lets me clamp my monitor to the tripod while still have a quick release mounting system.

Cardellinis are definitely stronger and provide a better bite in most situations except flat surfaces. They have different uses.

Edited by Salil Sundresh