2 perf

Miguel Bunster Claudet

Has anyone used this camera and their Lomo lenses. I know them by name but had never used that particular camera and never shot with Lomo lenses..is for a possible project where production is looking at this. Would lvoe to get some feedback or opinions on it. One thing is the camera but I am curios about the lenses performance wide open specially for a lot of night exterior work.

Best and thanks.

Miguel

ps: their web page is www.indi35.com

• Premium Member

Lomos aren't great wide open, I always recommend stopping down at least one, preferably two stops to get clean contrast. The round fronts are generally better than the square fronts, and if you have a selection to choose from it might pay to do some comparison checks. I've come across vastly different quality in the same focal lengths, usually due to how the lens has been callibrated. A tiny misalignment of the anamorphic elements and the image quality plummets. That said, a well aligned and collimated Lomo can make quite a beautiful image.

• Premium Member

Sorry Miguel, I should have concentrated and read your post title - with 2 perf of course you'll want spherical..

I haven't come across spherical Lomos, so I can't comment.

Apologies.

• Premium Member

Lomos aren't great wide open, I always recommend stopping down at least one, preferably two stops to get clean contrast. The round fronts are generally better than the square fronts, and if you have a selection to choose from it might pay to do some comparison checks. A tiny misalignment of the anamorphic elements and the image quality plummets. That said, a well aligned and collimated Lomo can make quite a beautiful image.

Dom,

I think this would apply to most anamorphic lenses. Anamorphics are obviously more complex than spherical lenses, and are more prone to alignment issues. I think it goes without saying that Lomos aren't built to the same standards as Panavision, but they do produce outstanding images when set up correctly.

Miguel,

Spherical Lomos are also excellent optically when set up properly, and are an approximate equal, optically, to other cinema lenses produced at about the same time period. The lenses with the Kinor 2 perf package were produced in the late 1980's, so look for an optical quality of that period of Zeiss optics, but warmer.

You can order the 2 perf feature "Frostbitten" DVD here

from Amazon for $5 including shipping! It is Anders Banke's first feature, shot with his own 2 perf Kinor 35H cameras and Lomo lenses. This is identical to the Indi35 equipment, in fact, Anders did the 2 perf and electronics modifications. It will give you an idea of what you can expect.

I think if you do some searches on this forum you'll find some info on Lomo sphericals, also be sure to check out www.konvas.org, which is dedicated to Russian post-war cinema cameras and optics, you'll find lots of information there.

If you're thinking about renting my gear please feel welcome to come by and shoot some test footage. The best way to decide if it will work for you is to test the whole production and post production path. Shoot test footage, process it and send it all the way though your post-production workflow and see if you get the results you want in the end.

Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

-Bruce