choosing between DVCPRO 50 and DVCPRO HD

Tim O'Connor

• Premium Member

If you had a program that was going to be seen in SD only, say on DVDs, shooting with an HVX-200,

would you shoot DVCPRO 50 or DVCPRO HD and downconvert? The former has less resolution but also

less compression. The latter has more resolution but more compression. Shooting 720P 24PN would also

give more time on P2 cards than shooting DVCPRO 50. I never did a direct comparison before and plan to do so

but curious if anybody has formed opinions about this.

• Premium Member

Tim, I'd err towards DVCProHD @720 and down-convert later on where I can use more computer horsepower for a better image. I haven't touched an HVX in a long time, but that's what my gut tells me to do, and on top of all of that you "HD" proof the client, incase they ever need an HD copy.

• Premium Member

I agree with your gut.

-- J.S.

That makes the most sense. How I was leaning anyway, maybe sometimes we ask what we kinda

already think but two strong intuitive responses like that from you guys settles it for me. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

That makes the most sense. How I was leaning anyway, maybe sometimes we ask what we kinda

already think but two strong intuitive responses like that from you guys settles it for me. Thanks.

A bit late to advise, but just as a matter of record I wonder how it came out?

My experience with comparing downconverted Varicam to DVCpro50 from sdx900 is that the latter was better.