3d and Filters

Rob Vogt

Does anyone know if Schneider or Tiffen have made filters large enough to cover those big 3d rigs? It would seem like having 2 filters wouldn't be an option unless you put them behind the lens.

Photo019ps.jpg

That's a photo of the quasar rig with the massive front end prism.

Disregard the photoshopping out of the people's faces.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if Schneider or Tiffen have made filters large enough to cover those big 3d rigs? It would seem like having 2 filters wouldn't be an option unless you put them behind the lens.

I've just finished a movie shooting with Qasar rigs running Red One's.

We just attached a PSR sized filter tray with circular clap-on ring to the front of each lens.

ez :)

Don't use filters unless you absolutely have to- especially any fx/ diffusion or anything like that!

What issues have you had exactly?

When you are rating the camera at 400ASA and shooting in full sun, filters are a must.

The ND1.5's worked perfectly on the front of each lens, no dramas whatsoever.

the issue is getting two filters that match, if you are putting a separate filter on each camera. I can't imagine doing that with anything other than neutral density or correction filters. I have always hated putting anything between the back of the lens and the image plane. For the IMAX 3D dual strip camera we had custom built 14"x14" filters made, along with a really big matte box. That way we can use ND grads, with a single filter for both lenses. I would think putting any sort of diffusion on the lenses for 3D would be very counter productive.