importing t2i

Cristian Carceller

Ok, so when I plug in my t2i to my mac nothing reads into the computer and the only way I no of getting the files on is through iphoto. But iphoto does not handle the footage well at all. ANd what i see on the internet is that people put there files into there own folder in the finder. Can someone please tell me how to do so... It would really help me a lot

thanks, cristian

• Premium Member

Ok, so when I plug in my t2i to my mac nothing reads into the computer and the only way I no of getting the files on is through iphoto. But iphoto does not handle the footage well at all. ANd what i see on the internet is that people put there files into there own folder in the finder. Can someone please tell me how to do so... It would really help me a lot

thanks, cristian

For my 7D I use a Lexar Firewire 800 card in my computer and a Lexar Firewire 800 CF card reader. Not the cheapest route but I can import 12 minutes of video from 30MB/s cards (SanDisk Ultras) in less than 3 minutes.

pro_udma_reader_lrg.jpg

Lexar has a similarly high performance USB 2.0 reader for CF/SD cards, I haven't used one but Lexar is a company with a dedication to high quality products. People who have bought them from B&H PhotoVideo have reviewed it highly. One user reports 4GB CF card downloads in less than 3 minutes which indicates the USB 2.0 reader is reasonably quick. Ultimately the Firewire 800 reader is going to be faster on fast UDMA CFcards but the USB reader still looks like a good device for both types of cards.

RW035-001_large.jpg

• 2 months later...

Also, use a program like Mpeg Streamclip, (Free) to uncompress your footage to something your editing application will like. I transcode all of my t2i footage to the highest quality DNxHD codec for use in Avid Media Composer. The files are bigger but you'll be doing your processor a favor by not editing heavily compressed footage.