footage

• Premium Member

you should calculate based upon the shooting ratio to be used

There are all sorts of short films. Is this a narrative with actors and the whole nine yards? Or is this more experimental?

What kind of film it is will also give you a gauge as to how much prep you will need. For example, how I directed my first narrative short was COMPLETELY different from the way I directed my first avant-garde short.

There are all sorts of short films. Is this a narrative with actors and the whole nine yards? Or is this more experimental?

What kind of film it is will also give you a gauge as to how much prep you will need. For example, how I directed my first narrative short was COMPLETELY different from the way I directed my first avant-garde short.

Yeah, a nattive one..shots planned, no improvisation

• 2 years later...

It all depends on the type of film you are making and the difficulties involved. From what I've been told, the average studio feature plans for a 8:1 ratio but they usually end up higher. My thesis at USC had a 12:1 ratio, and that was on 3-perf, but we had blank firing machine guns, choreography with a swing band armed to the teeth, moving vehicles, etc. so we had to do that.

If you end up making an easier narrative that is mostly just people "talking or doing poop" you can probably get away with 5:1, but I'd go 6:1 to be safe.

• Premium Member

A lot of it has to do with whose money is being used. People talk all this crapola of 12:1 and higher but not on their own dime, they arent! If you have studio backing and others dough, hell, shoot what you can get away with! If its your money, I guarantee youll keep it tight. Just being real with you.