Vehicle mounted rigs

james fotherington

Let's see some pics of rigs you guys have done . Vehicle mounted ones in particular . Lighting , Camera or SPFX doesn't matter . I have a bunch but I'll have to get some of them scanned as they were from a long time ago before we started using digital cameras . Here's one to start . This a rig I did on a sled in Goose Bay NFLD on a canadian military job . If you go to the DND website I think you can see the spot . It was a little shaky and the lens got completely covered in ice but the director liked the energy of it and used it anyway .

post-47467-12810246318213.jpg

Sanjay,

You have some interesting shots there, very clever work. Especially the one that is rigged out of the car boot and offset to the side.

Thank you JD,

I have since developed a couple of new systems that allow very flexible rigging without much ado. Will post soon.

Here's a pic of a car job I did four or five years ago .

Hey James i have a few question for ya, in your last post its sorta hard to tell what is going on. It looks like you have some sort or arm rigged from the front of the cars frame, and do you have and op riding with the camera? or are my eyes playing tricks on me?. Im guessing this is some sort of speed rail rig and you have duvi drapping down. You do some pretty amazing rigging good work! im hoping to get more up for everyone soon.

Here is another shot of the same type of rig . I built this system about 10 years ago . I haven't touched body panels on cars for quite some time . With the exception of maybe a top point on the camera when it is high and in close . I'll usually use a suction cup w/protective film behind it or try to stick to the glass .

post-47467-12814119820406.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is another shot of the same type of rig . I built this system about 10 years ago . I haven't touched body panels on cars for quite some time . With the exception of maybe a top point on the camera when it is high and in close . I'll usually use a suction cup w/protective film behind it or try to stick to the glass .

Hi James,

Can you give any more details about this rig? How is it rigged to the vehicle? How much weight can it support? How does it deal with deflection since it's just a single arm extended out from the car? Can the camera be rigged at various distances from the car or is it a fixed distance?

from an indie feature that buddy and forum member alex püringer dop'ed and i b-cam operated and 2nd unit dp'd.....

unfinished, during prep:

7522_311475315692_689360692_9366830_4585796_n.jpg

one of the finished versions:

7522_313539735692_689360692_9399784_632207_n.jpg

we were fortunate to be allowed to drill some holes and mount some of those to the bottom of the car:

schellen_01.jpg

dont know what theyre called in your language. ..

ground clearance obviously wasnt much of an issue, as we just drove on nice asphalt.

and our keygrip had that thing on top built, to have anchorpoints on the roof without having to do any visible damage to the car.

Edited by Alex Haspel

• 2 weeks later...

hello, leave a photo of a rig I made in January this year, this left me a lot of money.

I had to weld aluminum truss and then mount it on the Bell 206

and take this opportunity to greet all

sorry for my English

Edited by Ariel Velez

I filmed an entertainment series for a national TV network here about cars and all sorts of fast moving vehicles. Very similar to BBC's Top Gear, except that our budget was maybe 1/10th compared to theirs.

It ran four seasons (46 episodes) and during that time we tried many different methods of rigging cameras into vehicles.

Here's a gallery from the fourth season (filmed in 2008).

Making of "Ajoneuvos", Season 4

You may notice that i use a lot of timber under the cameras . I find this gives me great ability to move the camera for the DOP . jsut slide the leveling head to the right spot and screw it down , Timber i find also takes out the high speed vibration that the tube transmits to the camera .

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Steve .We use a variety of clamps to attach to the bottom of the car .On most cars you can find a hole somewhere , we use a half clamp (swivel clamp cut in half) and bolt it in place . we also use flange clamps which bite on a flat bar or I beam , or even just strap a pipe in place . whatever it takes in ashort amount of time . if you have the car for prep then you can make custom mounts

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi rob, do you know where I can buy those mini gold clamps, such as doggycam clamps, those in your photos?

Hey Ariel .

We had those clamps made up along with the rods , the rods are in various lengths with a 3/8ths thread on either end . using a grub screw we join them to make the required length . Modern studio equipment sells them(clamps)

but I find they are a bad design and aren't very good . Most of their stuff is alright but those are finished really badly , so you would be better off going to a local engineer , it should be an easy project . If you want the exact shape I could do one in sketch up for you .

Hey Ariel .

We had those clamps made up along with the rods , the rods are in various lengths with a 3/8ths thread on either end . using a grub screw we join them to make the required length . Modern studio equipment sells them(clamps)

but I find they are a bad design and aren't very good . Most of their stuff is alright but those are finished really badly , so you would be better off going to a local engineer , it should be an easy project . If you want the exact shape I could do one in sketch up for you .

How about a closeup photo of the clamps? Maybe with a 6 inch scale for reference?

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know the best way to rig an RV for lights, generator, and camera? I was thinking of setting up a grid system from the top of the RV to hang lights on, and using simple car mounts for the camera that would be set up for the front and the sides of the vehicle.