Drama 2/3" CCD prototype

Emanuel A Guedes

Otis has spent his last three years of his life to research and develop his full HD uncompressed camera. Photos released today:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=2071409&posted=1#post2071409

999z.png

Sample extracted from the prototype

It seems we need a new sub-forum one of these days humm, Stephen? ;)

• Premium Member

"Drama?" -- Strange choice of name for a 2/3". ;-) We shoot our dramas on F-35's, Arri's, Genesis, Red, etc. -- all big single chip cameras. It's the sitcoms that use 2/3". Focus pulling on takes that run eight minutes with loads of dolly moves is a challenge, and the DOF of 2/3" helps a lot.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

I've only skimmed the posts over at DVX user, and I wish we could get this guy to come and post here too.

His approach is refreshingly straightforward, and he seems to have a grown-up attitude to excessively clever attempts at demosaicing which bodes well.

P

• 3 months later...

"Drama?" -- Strange choice of name for a 2/3". ;-) We shoot our dramas on F-35's, Arri's, Genesis, Red, etc. -- all big single chip cameras. It's the sitcoms that use 2/3". Focus pulling on takes that run eight minutes with loads of dolly moves is a challenge, and the DOF of 2/3" helps a lot.

-- J.S.

Drama is what cinema is for me, so I thought it would make a good name for the project.

The sensor size does not tell the full story before we put the lens aperture into the equation. The sitcoms that are actually shot on 2/3" use zoom lenses limited to small apertures and typically significantly stopped down. My design is using a single sensor and it does not have a prism in the optical path, so it can use any aperture. I have used f0.95 and f1.4 with good results and these match the shallow DOF of 1.85:1 35mm film at f1.9 and f2.8. The 2/3" deep DOF power in low light is there when you need it, but typical 35mm DOF is also possible with fast lenses and it's achieved while preserving the 2 stop low light advantage of a 2/3" camera.

Edited by Otis Grapsas

I will post something when I put Drama into production. There is not much room for feedback at this point. This project has been getting feedback for 3 years.

1) There was a large thread on dvinfo started by a partner who eventually got banned. The thread was removed when it clashed with the interests of one of the site sponsors.

2) There was a thread on dvxuser started by one of the members and this one produced a lot of interesting feedback. My point of view on dSLR marketing methods in some thread clashed with the interests of some people. The project was banned from dvxuser and the feedback thread was removed as a sideeffect. Perhaps it was all an excuse.

3) Emanuel also posted a thread on Reduser about this project, but no feedback from there, it didn't live very long:)

So one could say this project is officially banned on three forums.

An interesting detail is that I joined cinematography.com in 2007 because I was interested in emulating film with precision. I found that nobody had actually attempted to do a full emulation of the process, so I started testing. 3 long years later, I'm very satisfied with the results, within the limitations of every given digital sensor of course.

But I'm not here to discuss Drama. Drama is complete. I will gladly contribute to any imaging related discussions though.