The Walking Dead on AMC (on S16mm)

• Premium Member

Just heard that The Walking Dead, that will start playing on AMC in Oct., picked S16mm. Frank Darabont is directing. It's nice to hear that some TV productions still give a hoot about crafting something and that they get the support to do it right.

A new Kodak article backs up what I was told:

“We did an extensive series of tests in preparation for The Walking Dead,” she says. “We compared all the latest HD and digital cameras, as well as Super 16 and 35 mm film. For The Walking Dead, we like the texture and the speed you can get with the Super 16 format. We have a high standard at AMC for what our shows look and feel like. We feel there is a certain elegance with film, and we think film adds a cinematic quality that fits with the rest of our programming. Feature films air before and after our original series, and we want smooth, elegant transitions.”

Edit: I just found this too. A talk with David Boyd-

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2010/08/david-boyd-interview.php

I'm excited for this. I own the first three volumes of the comic (out of 11) and there's great writing and set-pieces that should transition into television no problem. I also think it's great that Frank Darabont is prepared to take chances with how he and his crew are shooting; it reminds me of how he originally wanted The Mist to be shown in black and white for that 1930's Universal horror movie aesthetic. Where Super16 is a no-no for the BBC it's a yes for AMC. It's premiere over in the states is for the fall (or as we Brits call it, autumn), so we over the Atlantic should be watching The Walking Dead soon after that.

Also, hooray for slow zombies on TV.

• 2 weeks later...