Short doc shot (on Canon 7D) in Malawi, Africa.

Lilongwe Wildlife Centre - July 2010 docu-project

http://vimeo.com/14027750

This 11-minute piece is something of an introduction to the Lilongwe Wildlife Centre in Malawi. I volunteered at the centre 4 years ago, and thought this would make a good opportunity to go back and see how things have developed.

I shot this over 3 weeks in Lilongwe, Malawi on a Canon 7D. This is the first thing I've shot with a DSLR. I was really strapped for cash and couldn't afford the accessories I felt I needed, but my philosophy is: you make do.

I knew there was two bits of essentials I knew I couldn't afford, the Z-finder and some kind of rig. In hindsight, a (vari) ND filter would have been nice to get a shallower depth of field, but I just couldn't afford it.

I thought a monopod would be great as stability but it didn't work for me. It still shook an awful lot. Instead, I used my (stills) tripod as a "rig", with the handle over my shoulder. It was a bit cumbersome but it worked.

It was all shot, edited (FCP), and graded (FCP's build-in tools) on location in Africa.

I'd appreciate if you'd pick this piece apart and tell me what you liked and what you didn't. Tell me what I could have done better in terms of operating, editing, grading etc etc.

I would really appreciate it!

Christopher

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Technical specs

Canon EOS 7D

Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 (brought a Canon 50mm 1.4 but never used it)

Rode VideoMic

3 x batteries

3 x CF cards (2 x 8GB, 1 x 16 GB)

Stills tripod

Monopod

Shot on ISO 160 and 1250.