Scott Pilgrim

Just saw this movie... looked pretty good - nice use of the love heart bokeh on the bus!!!!

Just one question... I believe that this movie was shot on anamorphic but released as 1:85. So is there a groundglass that allows you to frame for 1.85 when shooting for anamorphic (even though it was designed for 2:40).

Regards

• Premium Member

There are all sorts of combo ground glasses out there, and some that are custom marked.

I've pencil marked 1.85 frame lines on a scope ground glass for clients. Most rental houses have the capability to do this, but it's a tedious process to do properly, and removing the lines later can damage the surface, so it's not something you'd do for a 2 day student shoot for example. Often small tick marks at the frame corners are sufficient.

• Premium Member

The only film I can think of that did a 1.85 finish with anamorphic lenses was Babel. All the Japan scenes were anamorphic, while the US/Mexico scenes were spherical and the Morocco/Pitt scenes were S16mm.

Why would did they only shoot fight scenes this way?

• Premium Member

I believe they wanted to get the anamorphic lens effects in the frame with regards to how it handles out of focus areas as well as flaring. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure I read that someplace (american cinematographer of last month July '10 I seem to recall.)

A lot of the fight scenes were shown in the frame letterboxed to scope, when the majority of the movie filled the 1.85 projection area. Some very cool, in-your-face direction. Fun cinema!

...and Toronto playing Toronto was a very nice change!