Lomo spherical lenses and Pancro mirror-ND filters

Alex Aust

hey folks, i found this on pancro's "mythbusters" page:

8)I can use IR ND mirror on any lens.

Where as some lenses have highly reflective coatings and may cause internal reflection off the filter. Use good lenses, such as Red, modern Cooke or Zeiss  no problems there. Some old beaten glass may not have the type of optical quality (transparency) needed for compatibility with mirror-type filters. It is an important consideration when choosing a lens. In my experience, Arri-Zeiss Master Primes as well as Red 300mm prime are perfect for using mirror-type filters and I found no side effects even in the most difficult lighting conditions.

now i wonder what happens if i use the pancros on old lomo primes (spherical); will i get some pretty bad effect? maybe worse than the IR contamination i'd get without the pancros in the first place? or does it just limit the effectiveness of the IR filtering?

Lomos ARE high quality lenses, easily comparable with any Western lenses of the era. The Soviets took their propaganda VERY seriously and put every effort into the tools they used to spread that propaganda. These lenses were made to the highest standards the Soviet Union could muster. I have never heard of Lomo coatings as being particularly reflective. I sincerely DOUBT that you'll have any reflection problems but of course, the best way to find out is to test. B)