zeiss 10-100 T3 vs Angenieux 12-120

LangISback

Hi there,

I'll make a music video in a couple of weeks and I have a choice of either using an Angenieux 12-120 or a Zeiss 10-100 T3.

I'd like to know if any of you know how this two lenses compares. Are the image quality really much better for the zeiss 10-100 T3?, how do they match?

thanks very much!

:ph34r:

Thanks a lot for your posts!, I will use the Zeiss then!

(I kninda supposed the Zeiss is better but I am no expert and I've never used one before, so I wanted some confident opinions from you guys).

:)

But now a different question:

There are some focus changing shots and I've read somewhere that the Zeiss is a heavy breather, So i was thinking of using a 50mm nikon for still 35mm cameras.

Do you think images from both lenses will intercut well?

I have an option on using a 50mm old Arri Shneider too. Do you think it would be better?

thanks again for your posts!!

If you are looking to avoid the lenes breathing then you will definetly want to avoid the ang. as for the zeis (I've used the T2 and it had a macro) to avoid the breathing problem, tryusing the lenes macro focus to do your racking or focus pulling it doesn't always work but when it does it helps out tremendously. As for your SLR lenses are you sure they will work, I'd recommend a test before you commit to that, sometimes they will mount but the focus plane is not the same as your SLR and that's no good....

Good luck,

JD

www.cinehooter.com

My filmschool professor had (probably still has) a great answer

For most of those if I do this and I do that will it work question...

SHOOT A TEST

I recommend you test out the Nikon lens with the Zeiss

And test out the Schneider with the Zeiss and see which one you like.

The Zeiss 10-100 T3 does breath a bit but so does the Ang. 12-120

So you're options aren't that great, but do the best you can

If you light it well and you compose your shot you'll be able to get good images

It'll look better than Mini-DV regardless of the lens

As for using SLR lens on a Movie Camera it depends on the camera

I know that the Aaton cameras are able to handle Nikon lens

I dunno about the Arri's or Eclair

Anyways good luck

Eclair ACL's will handle Nikon lenses with the proper adaptor. Avoid series E Nikon lenses at all costs. Also the faster Nikon lenses are less snappy than the faster ones which you will be the most tempted to use. Of course if you are finishing on video you can tweak the contrast a bit.

when you start messing around with different lenses you can really have some fun (yeah, I know my wife has already said it, but to me its fun) just remeber the 35mm lens placed on a 16mm camera will give the angle of view of a 16mm lens with double the 35mm's focal length (35mm lens focal legth 50mm will act like a 16mm lens with the focal length of 100mm)

God luck

JD

www.cineshooter.com

"... 35mm lens focal legth 50mm will act like a 16mm lens with the focal length of 100mm)

God luck

JD

www.cineshooter.com

I think not.

It will "look like" what a 100mm lens looks like on a 35mm STILL CAMERA, which by the way, is not what a 100mm lens looks like on a 35mm motion picture camera, since the frame size is much smaller than a 35mm still frame.

A 50mm lens is still a 50mm lens.

Matt Pacini