An awesome fight scene

I thought this was "critique my work", not "lets hassle a beginner so he never makes a short again". I though it was a novel idea. PERSONALLY, I think you could have maybe exposed better and been more creative with your some of your shot choices. Good effort and keep it up.

• Premium Member

I thought this was "critique my work", not "lets hassle a beginner so he never makes a short again". I though it was a novel idea. PERSONALLY, I think you could have maybe exposed better and been more creative with your some of your shot choices. Good effort and keep it up.

Hi,

This is a professional forum & the 'awesome fight scene' is probably the worst example ever seen on this forum, lame was a compliment.

A fight scene is easily one of the most difficult things to choreograph and film in cinema. It takes top pros in front and behind the camera to pull it off.

Therefore, I would suggest that a beginner not attempt a fight scene until many of the other fundamental basics of filmmaking have been mastered.

Many young filmmakers think they can advance quicker if they start off by making the really hard stuff first, this is a critical mistake.

Now if this was just a have fun project and a spoof of a fight scene, then who cares really.

Just my .02.

R,

PS: I would suggest that we have a "Simon Cowell" portion of this forum. Members will voluntarily place their work in this new thread to have people tell them their real honest opinion. If the member places their work there voluntarily then they won't be upset if they receive negative comments.

I recommend Phil Rhodes to be the chief critic. Stephen Williams can be co-chief critic since he seems to be enjoying this job already. :D

"Lame" is a comment, not a critique. Tell him what it is "lame" in your opinion what he did wrong how he could have improved the sequence and where specifically he made his mistakes. THAT may be useful for not only him but other student film makers who read this thread as well.

I saw this a few days ago and as I remember, one of the major problems with this sequence was the editing, it probably suffers for lack of coverage. Contrary to my basic philosophy regarding "dump truck" film making, action modern action sequences benefit from expanded coverage. Quick cuts with tight shots and a liberal sprinkling of inventive camera angles tend to intensify action sequences.

NEVER underestimate the power of foley and scoring to enhance an action sequence, sound can take a decent action sequence and make it truly exciting.

Slightly undercranking the camera can add speed to the sequence. Through experimentation, I've found you should be able to undercrank about 20% and movement will still look natural but the hits, kicks ect will seem to have a lot more power(same thing with explosions)and it has the added benefit of being safer for your actors.

If you want to see martial arts action sequences done right, see Enter the Dragon, Once Upon a Time in China, The Legend of Drunken Master and Kill Bill 1 and 2. These are some of my favorite and ones I can think of off the top of my head but there are many more. As far as action sequences in general go, Live Free or Die Hard immediately comes to mind.

Try taking the footage you have and re editing it, also pick up some books on cinematography, the lighting was unimaginative and lackluster. It looks like you basically didn't light it, just shot available light and even using the best light source on earth, the sun, you'll still are gonna want to direct, augment and control the light. You CAN make video look decent but it takes more work. For what it's worth. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly