Slow burn camera flash

Doing a shot on an upcoming spot where a man points his stills camera toward our lense and takes a photo with his flash. We are shooting 35mm. Anyone know of a slower burning flash that will show up on camera everytime? I've done this type of shot with the older type flashes that have a replaceable bulb, but with modern flashes I've just had to settle for either getting it or not getting it the way you would gunfire. Any suggestions? Thanks all.

Travis Cline

• Premium Member

There isn't a solution to this as far as how a typical flash operates. It isn't possible for it to last any longer. If it could, there would have to be a massive power supply change.

Do you just need to see that a flash appeared on the camera unit itself? An ultra bright LED built into it might be a solution since it can be made to operate for as long as you want. Or, can a flash that you do catch, be copied and inserted in post? Or maybe open your shutter angle?

J

If your budget and vision permits it, perhaps try a higher frame rate.

I know that if you are shooting film an to dying to catch a flash a good way to tell if you got it is if you don't see it in the veiwfinder when you are shooting. If you do see the flash in the veiwfinder youdidnt capture it reason being is because the mirror on the shutter is reflecting 20% of your image if you see the flash it. Means the mirror caught the flash not your emulsion. Let me know if that didn't make sense ha