Boardwalk Empire

MAN does this thing look GOOD!!! The previews are phenomenal. I have a sneaking suspicion I'm about to get hooked on this series like it was black tar heroin. Scorsese, Buscemi, the guys who created The Sopranos, the series set in Atlantic City during prohibition, this is like mob story heaven!!! It's hard to believe it's TV (HBO for those of you who haven't heard about it) AND I JUST SAW there's going to be a "making of" as well!!! Sorry, I have to stop before I need a tissue. This came out of the blue, I hadn't heard anything about it. Does anyone know anything about it? B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Yep! Very excited about it! I'm a HUGE fan of HBO original programming. There never has and never will be anything quite like it. Boardwalk Empire seems like it'll be a great historical drama in the same vein as the brilliant Deadwood, Rome, and Carnivale. But it seems like shows like this would be very expensive to make, which is probably the reason why all those previous programs got cancelled fairly early (Deadwood lasted the longest at three seasons). Hopefully Boardwalk Empire can fair better. The pilot promos look great and I think Stuart Dryburgh shot it so the combination of him and Scorsese makes for an great event!

It's interesting to notice that I'm way more excited for the stuff that's coming out on cable and premium television now more than most of the stuff coming out in theatres. Wonder why that is.

I know they were shooting on 35 with millennium XLs, but I hear from my friend at Off Hollywood they were able to use some RED MXs for it as well, before they were available for the public. Also I know that they have built an entire studio, I believe in Coney Island for the show. They also went a little overboard with pyrotechnics and had a major fire destroying some equipment. If only I had HBO... ;)

It's interesting to notice that I'm way more excited for the stuff that's coming out on cable and premium television now more than most of the stuff coming out in theatres. Wonder why that is.

It was kinda a lousy year for movies. I think this whole 3D carney game got everybody drooling salaciously over all the money they could make pimping out the technology in order to jack up box office at the expense of story and the audience so all they focused on was pumping out anything that had 47 scenes or more of something flying out of the screen...bad idea.