Jack Cardiff Feature Documentary Theatrical Release

Saul Rodgar

One of the best (color) cinematographers, who passed away last year, gets the full feature biopic treatment. This one looks really well done. Just the footage of Cardiff's interviews alone is well worth the price of admission, IMO.

I bust out laughing each time I see that bit of home footage, of Jack next to his camera, and he just shrugs as though he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. You get the sense of what a fun guy he must have been on set, and it belies the fact that he was in greater grasp of his powers and abilities than just about any other DP working then (or now).

I sure hope it'll be available stateside!

BR

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I have the PAL DVD at home (and a region-free player), it's a nice doc, inspirational.

Funny thing is that right after I watched it, I turned on the TV and "Conan the Destroyer" was on HDTV; there was a campfire scene where Grace Jones had this amazing close-up lit by Cardiff, reminded me of something from his Powell-Pressburger days, very exotic and moody. Can't say that the movie as a whole though is worth watching, but the moodier scenes have some great lighting.

And people complained about the Sony f900 when that came out.....Jacks 3-strip technicolour camera was the size of a large shed!!

And heavy too! There is a shot in "A Matter of Life and Death" that never really gets discussed, but it amazing in its mastery: a long, unbroken take shot from the patient's POV on a hospital gurney as it is wheeled through a long hallway to the OR room. blows my mind how they pulled that off with such a massive camera...and it seems like it's just floating along!

BR