5D MKII

phil hawkins

• Premium Member

People have pulled the sensor assembly and lens mount out of DSLRs and mounted it on a big chunky heatsink, so you can do that if you really want. The problem is that the temperature differential between the sensor and ambient that's required to make it noisy is small enough that things like peltier effect devices or full blown cryogenics become necessary to get much of a performance increase.

Easy it ain't.

• Premium Member

Doesn't Cannon maintain/collect statistics on purchasers and their intended use of the 5Dmk2/7D? Don't they also have a customer feedback system? If: one or both of the above are true; the majority of 5D/7D owners are not using it as a still camera; owners are reporting frequent overheating issues with both cameras. Why hasn't Cannon solved the heat dissipation problem with the electronics or the monitoring issues inherant with both cameras? Designing a heatsink isn't "rocket science".

Canon's main goal with the 7d and 5dmkii was and is not to make a great video camera. Their goal was to make a great stills camera that can shoot some limited, pretty good looking video for photojournalism purposes.

As far as auto focus is concerned, that's a feature used more by videographers imho. I have a RedRockMicro follow focus on my rig and it does fine for pulling focus in most scenes. I have my own hang ups with that but that's outside the scope of my post. :)

I'm a Videographer (using video cameras for my work) and have NEVER used any kind of autofocus. Suggesting that "videographers" use autofocus is one of those unnecessary deprecating put-downs intended to only attempt to artificially elevate those who claim to only use film as an acquisition medium. Sort of by definition, if you're not "recording" to actual film, you're a "mere videographer" therefore anyone using a 5D is slumming in the depths of the camera arena with the rest of us.

I'd write more, but since I only use video, you know that I have a wedding to go shoot and I should make sure that my autofocus is working and that my Tota with umbrella is set up. :rolleyes:

Can someone explain to me why everyone is so giddy over the 5D MKII video output given that:

1) It records video at resolutions that are less than some other 1080i dedicated video cameras in the same price range... (2 megs 5dMKII vs 2.9 meg for the Sony HVRA1U.)

2) Horrible audio/audio connections

3) No monitor

4) No autofocus

5) records maximum 12 minutes continuous vs 45 for DVCAM models (DPReview 5D MKII Specifications)

I like the use of the Canon "L" lenses, which is a great thing... but can someone clarify for me in simple technical terms why everyone is so ga-ga? It just seems like the hassle factor is very high in all other aspects of using the 5D MKII as a video source. Plus, I'd like to see a side-by-side output comparison of dedicated 1080i cameras in the same price range of the 5D MKII. Is this available on the net somewhere? I am obviously missing something...

Hi,

5D M2 is a great camera,because you can record with 35mm still prime lenses with high ISO,Other thing is it is full HD,1080p camera,then if you want to more about this camera you can watch this video then u decide

episode 3 u can watch here

http://www.zacuto.com/shootout

• 4 months later...

you guys are a bunch of cry babies......... did you ever hear the term... it is not the camera it is the photographer?.... stop bitching and keep on working....... btw the 5D is a great tool... many pros use it... and they adapted to the issues... like any other cam