Best Super 8 Projector

John Richardson

For light output/reel size/features, there are three 'Big Beasties' in the Super-8 world:

The Elmo GS-1200. 200W lamp, 360m reels, copious features

The Beaulieu 708. Different configs, very precise focus mechanism, 700m reels

The Fumeo. Different configs, 700m reels.

Stereo sound for the GS-1200 and, depending on model, also for the Beaulieu and the Fumeo.

To really go to town, try (and I do mean 'try') to locate one of the above with the Xenon lamp option. Those are as high as Super-8 ever went. The prices for the latter will still be very steep, but you will be up where 'the air is rare' and have a killer picture.

Claus.

Just to add:

The Beaulieu uses an HTI lamp for its high-intensity model, not a Xenon.

The ST1200 is a solid banger of a machine, and a lot less fussy than my GS-1200. The GS does use "old state-of-the-art" electronics, and while it is a sexy beast, it doesn't inspire the 'plug and play' confidence of my old ST-1200.

Guest Glenn Brady

I'd like to own a Fumeo 9145 Xenon pedestal projector (see Fumeo 9145), but I'm about as likely to find one of these as I am to be selected for a Mars mission. The Beaulieu 708 EL HTI and Elmo GS-1200 Xenon machines already mentioned are probably the best alternatives.

• Premium Member

Bauer T610, T525, T510, T502 are great projectors, very kind on the film and very quite running too, also dont over look Noris projectors, they have the best 100w A1-231 light output i've ever seen. The Noris norimat special-D is the brightest dual 8 projector i've so far seen, rear sprung gate coupled with a schneider 11-30 f1.1 lens, projects fantastic standard 8 images.

For me, the best price-quality option is the BRAUN VISACUSTIC 2000.

It has the BEST sharpness (using the same system as the Beaulieu), excellent stereo sound, good light output, the Schneider 1.1 lens plus a beautiful design.

Can't get much more than this. Well, an HTI or Xenon projector should be better, but in the range of 150W projectors, it's invincible.