First Super 8mm HD Telecine from the Spirit

Paul Korver

• Premium Member

So Cinelicious has been doing quite a bit of Super 8mm to true HD on the Spirit and have been very pleased with the results. Until now we haven't been able to show any of it due to the types & timing of the projects. Anyway this is a pretty incredible clip used for an ad campaign that is just coming out. It was shot by the very talented Kiku Ohe and featuring Supermodel Elyse Taylor. Definitely an eyeful. Feedback on the quality of the scans is welcome and appreciated.

http://www.vimeo.com/14317782

• Premium Member

This film was shot in Australia... and we did the telecine in LA with Kiku supervising online and giving realtime notes with colorist Steve Rodriguez live via our free "ColorCast Live" service. We went to ProRes 4444 not DPX but I could put an uncompressed still from ProRes up. You can also download the source film on the Vimeo page (lower right corner) which is a very high quality H.246 that looks nearly identical to the ProRes master.

Phil... in my opinion (and I see a lot of SD vs. HD & 2K Super 8mm comparisions as we have all three capabilities) Super 8mm definitely has 1920x1080 of info on it. Especially the finer grain stocks. Have you seen the new 100D btw? Pretty incredible.

-Paul

Yeah, im curious also - what stock?

What an amazing transfer and color job. Looks like ill be seeing you guys at some point in the future.

This is so by far the sharpest, organic, and beautiful 8mm I've ever seen. My head is full of questions. Max 8? What stock?

Amazing, amazing transfer guys. I feel like you opened up a whole new world of 8mm.

• Premium Member

This is so by far the sharpest, organic, and beautiful 8mm I've ever seen. My head is full of questions. Max 8? What stock?

Amazing, amazing transfer guys. I feel like you opened up a whole new world of 8mm.

Glad you all like it. For this clip you're just going to have to appreciate it for what it is... beautifully shot film. Sometimes clients, agencies, or production companies want to keep the details about their productions private.... a right that we as a company totally respect. There's a whole bunch of beautiful stuff we've done that we can't show at all. Just the way it goes.

One thing I will say is that I've seen a lot of SD and HD Super 8mm transfers and am a lover of small formats. When we saw what was possible with the Super 8mm gate on the Spirit, the sharp grain detail and "quiet" noise free highlights... even though it was crazy expensive... we had to buy the gate and Super 8mm upgrade option. So some portion of what you're responding to could be the fact that you've likely never seen Super 8mm transferred on a Spirit before.

Best,

Paul