Boring weekend. Thought I'd post the email I just got.

Vincent Sweeney

• Premium Member

Of course I'd be interested.

Quote:

"...Vince, thanks so much,

This film can be done as long as everyone is paid (albeit very low), fed well (relatively well) and treated with respect. We are thinking of a very small crew where they double up on duties. The people involved to be very committed because the pay would be very low. We’re thinking something like 200.00 per week on a favored nations basis (everyone gets paid the same amount).

There will be some guerrilla aspects to the production – just shooting without permits in downtown LA and, if we can’t get releases from anyone that is in the background, we would just blur their faces in post.

The story is strong enough to keep carrying the viewer along.

For interiors we will get favors and to have a couple of people getting them ready for the shoot. The key is to have all or most of the locations very close to each other. -- i.e. a square city block for the EXTERIORS and INTERIOR locations close by. Therefore, that square block or one of the interiors becomes our base for most of the shoot.

If you are still interested and feel confident that you can be of real help with this, please let us know and we will set up a meeting."

Reminds me of an offer I was given to DP a series of instructional magic and card trick videos. The guy couldn't pay me anything, but assured me he was close to finalizing a deal, and the sales could be over a million, which he'd cut me in on the back end. He wanted to shoot 30 vids...I suggested just one as a "proof of concept" for his backer. He said he wanted to do all of them, because he was so confident they would sign with him, that he wanted to be ready to begin producing DVDs. He also said he was going to save costs and boost profits by hiring people with special needs to do labor...

Needless to say I declined his generous offer to allow me to work for him free. Perhaps I denied myself untold riches reaped from the massive, here-to-fore untapped market of aspiring magicians...but I somehow doubt it. :)

BR

Reminds me of an offer I was given to DP a series of instructional magic and card trick videos. The guy couldn't pay me anything, but assured me he was close to finalizing a deal, and the sales could be over a million, which he'd cut me in on the back end. He wanted to shoot 30 vids...I suggested just one as a "proof of concept" for his backer. He said he wanted to do all of them, because he was so confident they would sign with him, that he wanted to be ready to begin producing DVDs. He also said he was going to save costs and boost profits by hiring people with special needs to do labor...

Needless to say I declined his generous offer to allow me to work for him free. Perhaps I denied myself untold riches reaped from the massive, here-to-fore untapped market of aspiring magicians...but I somehow doubt it. :)

BR

No dude, I picked up that gig and now own both a black and white Ferrari. I call them Yin and Yang.

• Premium Member

I'm going to write to them and tell them you'll do it for 50 a week.

:lol:

Sure Karl, but then you have to come AC for $25/week, ok? And don't worry about the location, it's all at night to avoid the need for permits and near one of the homeless/industrial zones (that's actually what they said) ...should be a fun time though, bring your Kevlar vest and running shoes!

Sure Karl, but then you have to come AC for $25/week, ok? And don't worry about the location, it's all at night to avoid the need for permits and near one of the homeless/industrial zones (that's actually what they said) ...should be a fun time though, bring your Kevlar vest and running shoes!

Oh, and the DP has to provide his own camera and lights, gratis. We can't afford to rent, and besides, it's guerrilla filmmaking!

Brian, please, you should know by now that if you have an "MX" red or DLSR camera you don't need lights, other than the AC's flashlight.

Lights are about as "in" as film is.

And besides, available light is more real. And we'll shoot handheld! Guerrilla man!