EX3

Ken Minehan

Hi Guys, this may sound like a stupid question, but here goes.

Is the Sony EX3 full HD?

I have shot with it and i like the picture that it produces. I have read the spec sheet and it does say that it shoots 1920x1080 in HQ mode. Here in Singapore, people are often confuse the distinction between HDV and HD, and the EX3 is priced in the high end HDV range. Also I think i feel a bit skeptical because compared to P2, you can record more data on the card. Is this because it is more compressed?

I am also asking because the company that i am currently working for is starting to produce documentaries, where the networks require HD content. Is this camera good enough for HD networks.

It would be much appreciated if anyone can clarify this for me.

thank you

Ken Minehan

Ken,

The EX3 shoots in the XDCAM EX long GOP codec at 35Mbps with a 4:2:0 color output. This is a somewhat larger codec than HDV, but not still the same kind of resolution you would get from broadcast HD cameras. Despite this, the EX3 is a great looking cam, it's efficiency and picture quality IMO far outstrips something like the HVX200 even with it's greater color range on paper.

Additionally, there is a product called the NanoFlash manufactured by Convergent Designs (check it out here) which records from the HD-SDI output on the EX3 and allows for much better quality recording (something like 160Mbps at 4:2:2.) This is a great unit for those shoots that require higher quality or broadcast output - it's a bit pricy but very affordable when you consider that a competing picture in this range requires a much more expensive camera.

Unless you guys require specific broadcast specs and aren't willing to go with the NanoFlash, it's hard to go wrong with the EX3.

Hope this isn't too much info - good luck with your decision.

-Remsy

Great, thanks for the info.

Another thing i forgot to mention...

I have a very simple shoot coming up where i have to shoot a testimonial. The client has asked us to shoot in HD, at a very low cost. This is why i thought of the Sony EX3 (great pictures, HD, Cheap).

Do you think this is a good idea?

regards

Ken Minehan

• 1 month later...

I am currently on a SAG student film where we're using the Sony PMW-EX3. To have a "bigger, thicker negative," which is how it's being argued, production is renting an AJA Ki Pro recorder.

Gerard Martin

Camera | Louisiana

504-810-2732

Edited by Gerard Martin