Time-Lapse in Adobe CS5 ??

Fred Magilicutti

Is there a quick, smooth, and easy way to link up still images from a time-lapse sequence in Adobe CS5 ?

I will be shooting time-lapse with a Nikon D2X, and as such, realize that I must do it in JPEG not RAW. But, after the shooting is done, I must put all those stills together sequentially in their high quality. I am hoping there is an option in CS5 that will allow me to do that. If it is in the manual, what page, because I cannot find it.

If not, what would you suggest? I do NOT want to lose the original quality in the process.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Importing the stills should be simplicity itself - in most NLEs, including Premiere (and I can't imagine it's absent in CS5) you'd simply select the first image of your sequence, and it'll offer you the "still sequence" checkbox. At that point it should just appear in the clip bin as a single take.

Maintaining "original quality" is possible depending on exactly what you mean by that. The "original quality" from a D2X is a 6 megabyte JPEG of 4288 by 2848 pixels, and unless you have some strange reason to deliver your final media in that format, you will not be maintaining the camera original - you'll be scaling (and cropping, because the aspect ratios won't match) down to 1920x1080 or something like that.

To recommend a sensible workflow we need to know more about your intended delivery format. What do you want to end up with?

P

• Premium Member

I'd shoot both raw and jpegs and (if you have the time) batch convert the raw to a 16 bit tif that will give you a two extra stops. Make sure you don't lose your metadata in the conversion process. I then use a program called "Better File Rename" that allows me to rename the files after their creation dates (among many other options). Then i feed it into AE which for me is the best method to color correct/process and render the single frames to a sequence (mov or avi) in whatever size you desire.

Is there a quick, smooth, and easy way to link up still images from a time-lapse sequence in Adobe CS5 ?

I will be shooting time-lapse with a Nikon D2X, and as such, realize that I must do it in JPEG not RAW. But, after the shooting is done, I must put all those stills together sequentially in their high quality. I am hoping there is an option in CS5 that will allow me to do that. If it is in the manual, what page, because I cannot find it.

If not, what would you suggest? I do NOT want to lose the original quality in the process.

Thanks.

I would shoot it in RAW, open Adobe Bridge, select all, open in Camera Raw, do an amazing color correction without losing any of the quality. Save images as JPEGs. In the save dialog you can decide how you want to number your sequence. Import to Premiere/After Effects etc. as "image sequence". My company has done a lot of movies which are color corrected in Camera Raw, using TIFF-sequences.

• 1 month later...

For those that use CS5 and Adobe Premiere, I work with Adobe and was wondering if anyone has tried out CS Review yet? What are your thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated. If you've never heard of it here is an interesting blog post about how it integrates with Premiere and can help with the creative review process.