RED ONE

jay singh

We are making a feature using red, I want to know the accessories I am buying for REDONE are necessary, or I can omit some or I need to add any?. My shooting is in forest and mainly in rain. pls suggest what to add or omit. below r the things I'm going to order.RED ONE head, BASE PRODUCTION PACK, RED PRO LCD,BOMB EVF,RED POWER PACK, COMPACT FLASH, RED-RAM, RED-DRIVE,B4toPL ADAPTOR, BATTERY PLATE,RED QUICKPLATE,RED CHEESE PLATE,BRIDGE PLATE, RED HANDLE,TOP HANDLE TENSION,SIDE HANDLE,RED HANDLE MOUNT,RED ARM,BODY CAP,LENS REAR CAP,RED WINGNUTS 12MM, 15MM ADAPTOR,BOLT SET, FOCUS HOOK SET,CARBON-X 12inch ROD, REDFLASH (CF) MODULE ,red DRIVE.

2. Arri Ultra prime lenses are good for redone ? I am buying this set 24mm, 50mm, 85mm and 135mm

for my rainy shots and wide and wild look of forest are this set of lenses ok or can any body pls suggest which is more essential in film shoot. I am a co-producer :unsure: and working as an asst cameraman, so I know very little about all this :P . kindly help me by answering. Thanks in advance.

Edited by jaya

Yes, ARRI Ultra Primes from Ziess are defiantly beautiful lenses and a good choice for the RED ONE camera. I am not sure whether they are fast enough for your needs. They are although extremely sharp from corner-to-corner (over T4) and very reliable lenses. Great focus rotation and distance as well. You may also consider the cheaper Master Primes (great lenses, but a little softer at edges. Also the Back-focus performs a tad better with the Ultra Primes).

As Brian mentions, they are very expensive and not something you want to buy in four different focal length, without testing them first.

1. I would get at least 2 power packs. A power pack comes with 1 charger and two batteries. I suggest a minimum of four batteries on set, 6-8 batteries is best.

2. Get a switchtronix dual battery mount hotswap plate for the RED. It allows for twice the battery life and the ability to hotswap so you never have to power down.

3. Get a good raincover, maybe two. Camrade has a pretty good one. There are other good ones out there too. If the budget is low get a box of large black trash bags and a good AC to rig it up safely.

4. Get at least 3 x 16GB CF Cards.

5. If you are buying RED RAM Drives, you don't need the regular RED Drives, maybe just one as a back-up. Have at least 2 preferably 3 RED RAM drives.

6. If you are using ARRI lenses, or any other PL mount lens for that matter, you don't need the B4 adaptor. Only get that if you know you will be using B4 mount lenses.

7. Get extra RED Arms. Those are usually the first thing to go down. I suggest 9 inch RED arms.

8. Get a full set of rods, always in pairs. Have at least a pair of 6-8", 12" and 18", more if necessary. I suggest 19mm rod size.

9. Get these accessories from the company Element Technica: Video Breakout Box, Speedy clamps for 19mm rods, Shock mounts for RED RAM/RED DRIVES. Just shop around their website, they have some good stuff.

10. Arri MB-20 II Mattebox.

11. Arri FF4 follow focus with BA-2 adaptor for 19mm rods.

12. ARRI 19mm baseplate.

13. OConnor 2575 fluid head with 18" dovetail plate.

14. If you are getting a set of primes, get at least 5. You will probably want something between 24mm and 50mm, something like a 35-40mm. Get that and you have a good set. Just rent lenses. Unless you have long term use planned for the lenses its probably not worth it, that set of lenses will cost you just as much as the whole camera package.

I hope this helps.

Tanner

• Premium Member

I am not sure whether they are fast enough for your needs. They are although extremely sharp from corner-to-corner (over T4) and very reliable lenses. Great focus rotation and distance as well. You may also consider the cheaper Master Primes (great lenses, but a little softer at edges. Also the Back-focus performs a tad better with the Ultra Primes).

As Brian mentions, they are very expensive and not something you want to buy in four different focal length, without testing them first.

Totally disagree with that, I'd take Master Primes every time over Ultra's. Also Master Primes are FAR more expensive than Ultras. I've had many different problems with Ultra Primes but they are a good solid second hand buy. I personally prefer Cookes for rental but the UP's will give better bang per buck

You'll need something wider that 24mm and also fill the gap between 24 & 50

But with RED I would go for something older and less sharp at the expense of speed, Baltars, Cooke S3, even Kowa, much easier on the eye....oh, and an AC who knows what he's doing otherwise you will end up firing yourself (that I'd like to see)

Best solution as others said, rent.