Buy T2i at end of September or wait?

Tyler Leisher

I was planning on buying the Rebel T2i at the end of September/beginning of October, but a friend of mine said that Canon might be releasing a new HDSLR in the near future and that might drive down the price of the T2i.

What are your thoughts, should I buy it now for $900 or wait and see if the price drops?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Canon is releasing a new HD-DSLR camera soon: The 60D. So we will see what that does to prices. It is supposed to be out soonish, but there is no date that I know of. B&H says Approx September.

Maybe the price will match the T2i as well..

Right now its around $1000

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My friend has purchased the Canon T2i and I was just playing with his camera found the images just a bit too soft for me. Since image quality is the thing I was looking for I went with Canon. Along with best image quality some of the best point are ability to shoot HD video and also has excellent macro mode.

The camera is very small and light and It has Superb image quality in both photos and video and the built in mic is also very good.

Unless you have some project that demands it, why NOT wait. Despite Canon and Nikon spending massive amounts of money to try to convince consumers to purchase a new DSLR every two-three years, you have to consider the features it has, the features you'll need, and the time period in between.

If you anticipate doing a lot of shooting, that will cost more than what you can rent/borrow in that time period, buy the DSLR. If not, wait.

From my personal experience, I generally regret impulse buys far more than things I DIDN'T buy. Have to say, too, with a $900 price tag, you should be able to find that camera for give-away rental prices somewhere. Maybe a rental house price will still be high, but a co-op or something should have something like this available for practically nothing for a day rate.