Dslr vs. other prosumer cam

Are the Dslr's here to stay? Should I sell my HVX 200 and jump on board? You think a digital camera will come out witha sensor that big? any news if canon is releasing anything big soon?

that is a difficult question. I for one am not buying a DSLR at this point. There are just too many unresolved issues ranging from framerate to rolling shutter, to the outrageous compression and poor audio connections.

Now if Canon were to answer these questions, with a comparatively priced model that was designed with the cinematographer in mind, I would be inclined to listen.

The big gamechanger could be the much vaunted Scarlett from the makers of the Red camera. However, they have had some technical issues of late that has delayed release of the cam. Hopefully they will soon be on track so we can see what the Scarlett can do.

The best solution for me has always been to see the camera in action. Find someone who has a camera you're interested in and see how it works in the field, and if it meets your needs.

Good Luck!

BR

i say stick with what you have. if you can afford/have a pro or prosumer video camera id recommend it over a dslr, theyre much more versatile. if you really want the full frame look you could get 35 adapter. that way you get the look and dont have the same codec and hdmi issues. however, the good ones are as much if not more than a 5d though. if your set on the dslr, id recommend waiting 6 months to a year, hopefully the issues will be sorted out.

Edited by Damien Andre

beside scarlett there are big sensor video cameras coming i am pretty sure with in the next year ... not sure about canon but sony and panasonic definitely go for it

SONY NEX-VG10

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/af100/index.html

so right now a lot of things change - thats why i really hold up from buying anything right now and rather rent it...

i know at least 5 people that bought a 5D this year - then it comes down to what lenses and other accessories...

so answering this question is very hard right now - you just have to decide if it is wort for you ... but also if you want to sell a HVX200 do sooner than later i think to get at least some money

Edited by Valentin Farkasch