visual reference database?

Josh Bass

Hi guys. I'm prepping to DP a short film, and I was wondering if there is some large database of stills from movies/tv shows/etc. that exists somewhere with different lighting styles for any type of scene/location/mood etc. you could think of. . .things I could draw on for inspiration/theft.

For instance, we'll be doing some people sitting in cars at night. NOthing fancy, and I have ideas of how I'd like to light it, but it'd be nice if I could do a search and see what others have done.

Thanks.

Hi guys. I'm prepping to DP a short film, and I was wondering if there is some large database of stills from movies/tv shows/etc. that exists somewhere with different lighting styles for any type of scene/location/mood etc. you could think of. . .things I could draw on for inspiration/theft.

For instance, we'll be doing some people sitting in cars at night. NOthing fancy, and I have ideas of how I'd like to light it, but it'd be nice if I could do a search and see what others have done.

Thanks.

IMO and granted this is just my opinion, but stockpiling your own sources of inspiration/theft would be way more beneficial than a resource that does it for you. I've been working on my own stockpile of resources and I believe I am gaining a better understanding of how the great cinematographers get their looks. Once again this is just my opinion, and I would love to hear what others have to say about this subject.

• Premium Member

Not quite what you're after, but you might find of interest

http://evanerichards.blogspot.com/

This site has copious sequential screen shots from about 70 films (mainly of the last 20 years), including most of those on American Cinematographer's recently published list of 'the 50 best shot films of the last decade'. (A subjective notion at best but hey, everyone loves a list, right?)