Converting video to better work with Final Cut Pro

Lance Tang

Are there any programs that are used for converting native video files from the camera (I'm using a Canon 5D EOS Mark II) to be faster for editing on Final Cut Pro (I think its the Apple ProRes format that works best on FCP, I could be wrong though).

What program do you use?

• Premium Member

Are there any programs that are used for converting native video files from the camera (I'm using a Canon 5D EOS Mark II) to be faster for editing on Final Cut Pro (I think its the Apple ProRes format that works best on FCP, I could be wrong though).

What program do you use?

What exactly do you mean by "faster for editing?" If you are referring to how long it takes for the clips to load into the timeline or to render something, that has a lot to do with the CPU's performance (processor, amount of RAM, etc.) As you probably know, the larger the clip, the longer all those processes will take.

Red Giant Software makes a great little stand alone plugin called Magic Bullet Grinder that does exactly that. Converts h.264 Quicktimes to Apple ProRes. Works beautifully, I use it at the post house all the time for 5d and 7d footage. It's also way faster than compressor.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-grinder/

You're work flow won't really be any different than if you worked with the files natively. Obviously converting from one format to another will add time to your overall work flow but in the long run the editing and compression will all be the same. After you've converted the files, everything is the same.