Nikkor Cine-lens?

Terry Runner

C mount lenses are used on 2/3" and 16mm cameras, so I'd be surprised if they'd cover a DSLR frame. Super 16 would be about the limit.

Hey Brian, I have been seeing some footage with these lenses but I think its the same guy and its all from a GH1.

Maybe he made his own adapter..

The GH1's Micro Four Thirds sensor is a lot smaller than the DSLRs and the camera doesn't have a mirror shutter, so perhaps he has an adapter to allow the Nikkor Cine to be fitted.

hmm. Didn't know that about the GH1..haven't really looked into it.

So the GH1 isn't really considered a DSLR?

It's a smaller sensor format than say the Canon 7D or the 5D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Four_Thirds_system

Wow that is significantly smaller..

these lenses wouldn't really be "future proofing" either...say if I were to go with a 5D or whatever might come out in the future that is full frame.

Thanks for the help Brian!

• 5 weeks later...

The GH-1 might not be a "true" DSLR, but it's mirrorless design allows it to mount cinema lenses without permanently converting to PL-mount. That smaller sensor is about the size of Super 35mm film but much bigger than traditional 2/3 video, providing a shallow depth of field that's much easier to focus with compared to the VistaVision-sized 5D.

(It also handles texture better than Canon due to Panasonic's superior line skipping, and it's codec issues recede with the "tester 13" hack.) Yes, c-mount lenses will work, but unless you find a great deal you're probably better off buying 35mm lenses that will cover the full frame of any future camera. If you want contrast, old zeiss for contax lenses are excellent; for a softer look, nikkor primes. And if a budget comes along, rent that PL adapter!

• 4 weeks later...