New 9000PL Camera

John Sprung

• Premium Member

Sony presented their new 9000 PL tonight. It's basically the guts of the F-35 in a smaller one-piece package with an HDSR cassette recorder, and some new features such as speed ramping. And all for $72,500.

They also showed the new one Terabyte memory cards, featuring 5 Gbps sustained I/O, and a one rack unit memory card read/write unit to add on to the 5800 HDSR tape machine. The 9000 PL will later get a card module that can replace the tape transport.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Sony presented their new 9000 PL tonight. It's basically the guts of the F-35 in a smaller one-piece package with an HDSR cassette recorder, and some new features such as speed ramping. And all for $72,500.

They also showed the new one Terabyte memory cards, featuring 5 Gbps sustained I/O, and a one rack unit memory card read/write unit to add on to the 5800 HDSR tape machine. The 9000 PL will later get a card module that can replace the tape transport.

-- J.S.

Hi John,

I was going to play with one at IBC on the Sony stand, however it had a DigiPrime lens!

• Premium Member

Surely impossible as DigiPrimes would be B4 mount? I guess the camera you saw would have been an SRW9000 (the 2/3" version) ?

Thats exactly my point, at IBC on the SONY stand a 2/3 inch video camera was displayed when the sign claimed 9000PL, I don't think many people noticed.

• 4 months later...

Sony sent my DP and I a SRW-9000PL last week. We shot a shot web film with it this past week. We used a Fuji 18-85mm T2.0. Those two together made a beast of a camera. We loved the image quality of the 9000PL as well as the range of control the it gives you. The video should be posted on line mid-Feburay.