RED Camera LIGHTING SET UP

HELLO,

I am about to shoot a music video on the RED ONE camera using the old M SENSOR (NO MX :( )

I am shooting a performance shot in a basement and I'm using a bunch of practical bulbs hanging around the area (IN SHOT) that the artist is performing in. Now I have some supplemental lighting like a 1k chimera to act as key and some 650's for kickers. As for the bulbs I am stuck with what wattage to use. I am going hang probably at least 8-10 bare and originally I planned on 150 watt bulbs but I think that may be overkill. I'm leaning more towards 75 though I just worry since the old m sensor can get noisy with tug light that 75 isn't enough though at the same time with my supplemental lights and the fact that the bulbs are bare (at at least 8 in the shot) that will be more than enough to get a clean image. I could mix and match but I would like to have everything the same wattage even if it is only a 75 watt difference.

HELLO,

I am about to shoot a music video on the RED ONE camera using the old M SENSOR (NO MX :( )

I am shooting a performance shot in a basement and I'm using a bunch of practical bulbs hanging around the area (IN SHOT) that the artist is performing in. Now I have some supplemental lighting like a 1k chimera to act as key and some 650's for kickers. As for the bulbs I am stuck with what wattage to use. I am going hang probably at least 8-10 bare and originally I planned on 150 watt bulbs but I think that may be overkill. I'm leaning more towards 75 though I just worry since the old m sensor can get noisy with tug light that 75 isn't enough though at the same time with my supplemental lights and the fact that the bulbs are bare (at at least 8 in the shot) that will be more than enough to get a clean image. I could mix and match but I would like to have everything the same wattage even if it is only a 75 watt difference.

I'd go with the 150w across the board and wire them all to a 2k variac - that way you can dial in the brightness to your heart's desire... or if you feel inspired you can play with the brightness during the shot :)

As for the tungsten noise, if it bothers you throw an 80 (2 stops lost) or 82b (2/3 stop loss, but less blueing) filter on the camera to cool everything down, depending how much light you're willing to lose.

Depends, are the bare bulbs serving as part of your key lighting or are they more of a visual element? If it's the latter, then I'd suggest using more lower wattage bulbs (40-60w) and wiring them through a hardware store dimmer. Take care not to exceed the rating of the dimmer, usually 600 or 1000w, depending on model.

Don't under estimate the lighting needs of the Red (or the Cannon 5d/7D). It's easier to make things darker in post, no so easy to create light (without noise or grain) where there isn't enough.

Edited by JD Hartman