Arri Alexa Show on TV

John Sprung

• Premium Member

Disclosure: I work for CBS Television Studios, we make this show.

If you're in the USA and want to see something shot on the Alexa, have a look at NCIS/LA this season. The first episode airs tonight, Tuesday 9-21, 9 PM / 8 PM Central, on, of course, CBS.

If you have an HD set, you can get the full 19.4 Mbit/sec ATSC feed off the air. Often, all it takes is a couple feet of wire made into an indoor loop antenna. The cable/satellite/telco feeds usually use a lot more compression.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Disclosure: I work for CBS Television Studios, we make this show.

If you're in the USA and want to see something shot on the Alexa, have a look at NCIS/LA this season. The first episode airs tonight, Tuesday 9-21, 9 PM / 8 PM Central, on, of course, CBS.

If you have an HD set, you can get the full 19.4 Mbit/sec ATSC feed off the air. Often, all it takes is a couple feet of wire made into an indoor loop antenna. The cable/satellite/telco feeds usually use a lot more compression.

-- J.S.

Bugger. The 10 network here has now dedicated its HD allocation to a dumbass 24 hour sports channel, so it will be SD for us, whenever it appears.

(The 7 and 9 networks are about to follow suit as from this weekend with their own version of the same crap setup).

Anything else in Das Arriworks?

Got to watch a few minutes around the middle, over ATSC on a Sony XBR960. In a quick watch I thought it looked good, but in one scene the low-mids seemed really noisy. The old lady was sitting in a car chatting up some retired agent or something.... the shots of him, the low-mids (shadow side of his face) seemed noisy. Anybody else see that or am I just crazy?

• Premium Member

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check out "NCIS LA." Watching the pilot of "Detroit 187" tonight I could tell it was shot with the RED (primarily). I'm looking forward to seeing the regular series production shot with Panasonic HPX 3000's.