Schneider ND's color tendency

Rodrigo Llano

Hi everyone.

I'd just finish a resolution test for the Panasonic HPX-300 and also a test for my new Schneider Nd's

The surprise at the end of the day wasn't the more or less resolution that camera+lenses bring but the awful Magenta color that Schneider Nd's put into the image..

I decide to choose for this ND series because good experiences in old works and because a cinematographer option in term of what kind of image I want to create. Before I like that bluish-little greenish tone that add, easy to correct but also kind of beauty. Now the images turn Magenta, like using a minus green 2..

anybody have some experience with that? Is the Schneider Nd change in the last time? Is this camera more sensible to some pigments in the filters?

Thanks

Llano.

With film I would guess that it would have something to do with the heel or toe of the characteristic curve.

Digital, I would guess that the IR pollution is the most likely cause. Do you have access to a color meter, or even a densitometer?

You could hit the ND with a transmission densitometer from a photo lab as a cheap way to read for any color bias.

If it IS IR light pollution in the reds, can you obtain IR filters? I'm sorry, I really know very little about the Panasonic and if it has a built-in IR. If it does, over the chip, it should have a light blue tint.

With film, you run into trouble with UV pollution in the blues outside on hazy days. So this is the same problem on the other end of the spectrum. . .

Linus: My understanding was that digital sensors are, for the most part, natively sensitive to the other end of the spectrum. So wouldn't UV be outside of their normal range (unless this were a special scientific imaging camera and not an HPX-300).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

I'd just finish a resolution test for the Panasonic HPX-300 and also a test for my new Schneider Nd's

The surprise at the end of the day wasn't the more or less resolution that camera+lenses bring but the awful Magenta color that Schneider Nd's put into the image..

I decide to choose for this ND series because good experiences in old works and because a cinematographer option in term of what kind of image I want to create. Before I like that bluish-little greenish tone that add, easy to correct but also kind of beauty. Now the images turn Magenta, like using a minus green 2..

anybody have some experience with that? Is the Schneider Nd change in the last time? Is this camera more sensible to some pigments in the filters?

Thanks

Llano.