Bausch Lomb Baltar

Think thats a good price just dont use it wide open about 4.5 should look good .

I agree. We use a set of PL-mount-converted Super Baltars (when we can't rent a better set like Ultra Primes or Super Speeds), and they get rather soft wide open. Highlights especially tend to bloom.

Edited by Ravi Kiran

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Leo has it right, the Super Baltars were made for spinning mirror cameras, i.e. Mitchell 35mm and Cinema Products 35mm cameras. The Baltars, no super, were for rack over cameras, the early Mitchells. The two classes of lenses, Super and non-super, are totally different. The non super Baltars you see on eBay are old, but companies like Stonecine can clean them up. The only camera you can use them on are the early RED's. Now they are being refitted in Asia for still based cameras, that can shoot digital. The lenses are totally different so you cannot use the Baltars where you use the Super Baltars. The Super Baltars will fit and work with any BNCR mount. The Baltars will not.

Leo has it right, the Super Baltars were made for spinning mirror cameras, i.e. Mitchell 35mm and Cinema Products 35mm cameras. The Baltars, no super, were for rack over cameras, the early Mitchells. The two classes of lenses, Super and non-super, are totally different. The non super Baltars you see on eBay are old, but companies like Stonecine can clean them up. The only camera you can use them on are the early RED's. Now they are being refitted in Asia for still based cameras, that can shoot digital. The lenses are totally different so you cannot use the Baltars where you use the Super Baltars. The Super Baltars will fit and work with any BNCR mount. The Baltars will not.

Hi Mike,

yes, but there are some Super Baltar lenses in Ceco Housing for example, which are for BNC and not for BNCR like Mark-II or other, because they are 'long' behind the mount.

You find sometimes lenses in normal looking housings (metal rings) with this 'problem' too. I think they were made for the non-reflex Mitchell cameras too . . .