Modification for mallory 2.7V PX-14 batteries in Super 8

Nicole  Crescenzi

Hello,

So, I have a Bell & Howell 311 (Super 8), that needs a new battery...and the manual calls for a Mallory 2.7V PX-14...which are discontinued because of the mercury issues. I have heard that you can maybe use 2 zinc 675, 1.4 volts (hearing aid batteries) instead...but they are too small in diameter. Would forming a sort of sleeve or coozy out of aluminum foil around them work to make up for their smaller size? Or would that alter the voltage (and thus the exposure) too much?

...or does anyone have any other suggestions for either replacement batteries, or a modification of some sort?

Thanks,

nicole

Hi Nicole,

The battery voltage is so close as to not make any difference. To let the replacement batteries sit stable in the chamber, you can make up a small cardstock sleeve and/or using electrical tape wrapped around until it's built up enough of either. I've made up such battery supplies for my various cameras from all types; although some of the very small ones might not last as long. Even so, that's a moot point not to go ahead and make one up for yourself. With some cameras, a slight voltage change, of nearing a half volt will cause the light meter to underexpose slightly, and on others hardly any difference. The voltage variation here of using Two 1.4 volt cells will make 2.8 volts, that's only a tenth of a volt difference, and won't do anything. Stray light reflecting off a shiny surface is more of an exposure enemy than the voltage. I do suggest making sure the light meter is activated and working before running any film. This can be done by viewing thru the film gate while the camera is running, and observing the aperture closing down as you aim it towards a table lamp or light source and then moving it away again. While not fully indicative that the meter is accurate, it will let you know at least that it is responding to light and the battery is powering it. My only other recommendation here is to only shoot a few feet of film in that camera, and to finish the cartridge in another camera that you know works fine. This way you won't feel like you wasted an entire cartridge of film and processing just to find out if the camera works or not. You can always make some titles and/or shoot other stock footage that you can use as cutaways in projects later, with the rest of the film. Good luck and I hope your camera works fine.

• 8 years later...

Nicole & to anyone else in this situation-

I had success fixing this battery issue using size 675 1.45v hearing aid batteries. I stacked two on top of one another and used electrical tape to bind them. Once they're together, drop them in the battery well (negative side down) and put a dime on top. Screw the lid back on and it'll function perfectly!