Ultra Primes VS Superspeed MKiii

Guest rashed zaman

Guest rashed zaman

Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum and this is my first posting. Please forgive my mistakes.

I am a cinematographer, working in Bangladesh. I came to USA three days ago to buy a camera package and set of lenses. I am little confused about the lenses. I need your suggestions. Please help.

I have two options:

Option 01 : A set of superspeed MKIII lenses. 18-24-35-50-85 mm . Total 5 lenses. They are USED but in a very good condition. T 1.3

Price is $44,500

Option 02: A set of brand new ULTRA prime lenses. 16-24-32-50-85 mm. T 1.9

Price is approx. $60,000

I spoke to a very experienced lens expert here. He told me that Ultra primes and Superspeeds are exactly same optically. They produce the same quality of image. Only difference is the housing.

I thought Ultra prime would produce better quality since they came after superspeed.

I am very confused. I want to know which set of lens I should purchase.

I would really appreciate if you please let me know your opinions.

Best Regards,

Rashed Zaman

( how do I get in touch with Mr. David Mullen? I really need his suggestions)

Read more: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=48458#ixzz11e71LuOZ

Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum and this is my first posting. Please forgive my mistakes.

I am a cinematographer, working in Bangladesh. I came to USA three days ago to buy a camera package and set of lenses. I am little confused about the lenses. I need your suggestions. Please help.

I have two options:

Option 01 : A set of superspeed MKIII lenses. 18-24-35-50-85 mm . Total 5 lenses. They are USED but in a very good condition. T 1.3

Price is $44,500

Option 02: A set of brand new ULTRA prime lenses. 16-24-32-50-85 mm. T 1.9

Price is approx. $60,000

I spoke to a very experienced lens expert here. He told me that Ultra primes and Superspeeds are exactly same optically. They produce the same quality of image. Only difference is the housing.

I thought Ultra prime would produce better quality since they came after superspeed.

I am very confused. I want to know which set of lens I should purchase.

I would really appreciate if you please let me know your opinions.

Best Regards,

Rashed Zaman

( how do I get in touch with Mr. David Mullen? I really need his suggestions)

Read more: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=48458#ixzz11e71LuOZ

Hi Mate,

Your Lens Expert is not entirely correct. Ultra's have aspherical elements which give you a shallower depth of field and perceived sharper image.

Also much more user friendly.

Good luck.

Depth of field is a physical effect which cannot be changed by lens design. Aspherical elements are just a technology to widen possibilities in optical design (smaller, better correction...). Although sharper lenses show a stronger subjective "drop" in sharpness from in-focus to out-of-focus areas.

Depth of field is a physical effect which cannot be changed by lens design. Aspherical elements are just a technology to widen possibilities in optical design (smaller, better correction...). Although sharper lenses show a stronger subjective "drop" in sharpness from in-focus to out-of-focus areas.

Hence why I used the term "perceived"...

Shoot tests and see for yourself.