The Lab at Video Post & Transfer

• Premium Member

Since we should be supporting as many labs as possible, I thought I'd mention one that I don't see here very often... The Lab @ Video Post & Transfer in Dallas, TX.

The Lab was designed by Gary Cook. He designed NFL Films Lab, Shaw Bros in Hong Kong. He also did some consulting work on the new Library of Congress lab In Virginia. He worked for NASA for 10 years before he came to work at Video Post which opened the lab in June of 1996. They have participated in the Kodak quality assurance program from 1996 to present and routinely make straight A's on their monthly tests and are always in the top quarter. The processing flow is designed to have an absolute minimum of turns or twists from what I understand. I do know that they have a really large space for it where so many labs are in a tiny space with lots of twists to the film path. They process 16mm and 35mm negative. Not sure how Ultra-16 will come out but I just sent them my first roll (Ultra-16 mod to a Scoopic 16mn - Thanks Bernie!) and will be transferring it soon so I will report then.

I've sent thousands of feet to them over the past 7 years and never had one processing related issue; everything always looks great.

Glenn Shank is running the lab and is incredibly helpful. One of those guys that has seen it all and still loves what he does.

Their website needs work but you can see it here.

The Lab at Video Post & Transfer

They are affiliated with &Transfer; an amazing boutique DI/Telecine house with two Spirits and a Millennium (plus a Y-Front for SD).

I don't work for them, just want to see good labs working. I also use and love AlphaCine, Spectra, Fotokem... there are plenty of great labs out there but not many in the South/Southwest.