Shooting in Nepal

Guest rashed zaman

Guest rashed zaman

Hello,

I am going to shoot a commercial in Himalaya Mountains from November 8th to 12th. So basically I am shooting people climbing the mountain which is covered with white snow. This is the first time I am going to shoot snow.

For lenses I have to choose either Zeiss Master Primes or Cokke S4.

I am going to use ARRI 235 and Kodak negative.

I really want to capture beautiful white and blue sky.

Which film stock and lens would be the best for me?

Please let me know your suggestions.

Best Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no experience of shooting in snow, and very limited cinematography experience, but one thing jumps out at me straight away.

Master Primes are T1.3 where as S4s are T2.

A shoot in variable conditions in a remote location with less lighting and grip equipment than a standard commercial, would definitely benefit from the extra stop that Master Primes provide. i.e. allowing you to shoot later into the evening with changing to a grainer stock or breaking out larger lamps.

Hey Rashad,

Having shot 35mm in snow before (though not at altitude like you will be in Nepal), I can tell you that "low contrast" will be the magic word in your stock and lens selection. Master Primes are incredibly sharp though the S4's are smoother in contrast. With the light levels at altitude in the snow, I don't think you'll be missing that extra stop either. Check out the Vision 3 200T and/or 250D stocks for your day exteriors and 500T '19 for evening / low light. I don't have experience with the 200 and 250 stocks, but if their latitude is equal to '19 they would be a great choice.

My project in the snow was on Vivid 160 and Ultra Primes. The lenses were great, though the narrower latitude of the 160 got me in trouble a few times and I was wishing I had something lower-con.

Best,

• Premium Member

I'd look into something like the new '13 200T to test, it has a lot of over exposure latitude, and you can correct it back to D if you need to. I think it has more over exposure than the 250D does ('07) but don't quote me on that!. Also ND Grads will be a live saver as will normal ND filters and Hand warmers. I say hand warmers, the chemical ones, not just for your hands, but also to tape onto the batteries which'll keep them from dying as quickly, as well as helping with your hands ;)

I would certainly be looking into the Cookes which are a bit creamier, I feel, (in a good way) than Zeiss lenses.