Shooting in Vietnam

Eduardo Sausa

Greetings;

Recently, I have been offered to shoot few projects in Vietnam.

Projects are as follows

1. Feature film - about two month contract

2. Documentary - likely to be a long term project

3. Telemovie - TBA

I have very limited knowledge of industry over there but it is a place that I definitely want to work there.

If any of you can give me an insight on conditions and going rates (a ballpark price) it will be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I shot in and around Hanoi 10/11 years ago on a commercial for Cisco Systems. Wonderful place, wonderful people. Probably my favourite ever location. However all the kit was brought in from Salon Films in Hong Kong and local labour was enthusiastic but didn't have a clue. Luckily we had A/C's and AD from UK so were well organised. Can't help on rates, it was a US production

But whatever the money, do it. You'll never forget the experience.

Food is awful :)

Been to Vietnam twice in the last four years. Last time was January and February of this year (2010) and I will say the food is NOT awful. Love it! My wife is Vietnamese, so I'd be trouble if I didn't.

The Vietnamese work their rears off, but are technically way behind the United States, Europe, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong in production. I met some people over there who worked on features and in talking with them, it goes like this...

The DP, focus puller, main sound guys and editor are almost always foreigners.

Average budget for some recent features was 500k. Few films go near a million. No idea about documentaries.