Shooting Concert

Will Montgomery

• Premium Member

Seeking advice for shooting a rock concert.

Major act so big stage lights in a big hall. Only short clips, no audio. Using a Scoopic MS, Ultra16 Modified for portability. Probably will have a good monopod.

Planning on shooting V3 500T, concerned about the crazy contrasts in exposure with those lights. I've shot similar shows in Super 8 and metered for the talent, then locked it in with moderate success.

Will be transferred with a skilled colorist so I'm guessing I just need to be careful not to majorly overexpose.

Any tricks to consider?

Seeking advice for shooting a rock concert.

Major act so big stage lights in a big hall. Only short clips, no audio. Using a Scoopic MS, Ultra16 Modified for portability. Probably will have a good monopod.

Planning on shooting V3 500T, concerned about the crazy contrasts in exposure with those lights. I've shot similar shows in Super 8 and metered for the talent, then locked it in with moderate success.

Will be transferred with a skilled colorist so I'm guessing I just need to be careful not to majorly overexpose.

Any tricks to consider?

You needn't be that concerned as the stock has a massive amount of exposure latitude, both over and under. Expose for the talents faces and you will be fine. I would be worried if shooting digital, worried about contrast. No worries with film.