ARRI 435 extreme super 35 question

mark santos

hello everyone!

i have an incoming shoot next week, we are going to use a arri 435 extreme on super 35 mode.

my problem is, i haven't worked on super 35 yet. so i don't know how to adjust the camera to super 35 mode. i know that the arri 435 extreme has the option to shoot on super 35.

what do i need to do to the camera to be able to change the mode to super 35? what other accessories do i need too? how can i check if the camera is on super 35 mode and with all the necessary super 35 accessories?

thank you so much,

mark santos

cmb films, manila

Read more: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=48712#ixzz13Ar5bAFb

what do i need to do to the camera to be able to change the mode to super 35?

rotate the PL mount, but I'm pretty sure rental house technicians would do that for you when you ask for a Super35 435ex.

how can i check if the camera is on super 35 mode

you'll notice the the number "1" and "2" engraved in the stainless steel lens mount: there should be a small white triangle/arrow approximately at 1 o'clock, where the locating pin is: if "1" is aligned with the little triangle, then the camera is set for regular 35mm, if it's "2" then it's Super35.

and with all the necessary super 35 accessories?

Make sure you're properly adjusting the baseplate for the Super35 format: to do so, you have to unscrew the center insert of the baseplate and rotate it 180°, aligning "Super 35" with the two arrows on the sides.

Hope this helps :-)

p.s. please don't double-post

Edited by Francesco Bonomo

thank you francesco for your prompt reply!

that was very helpful. just one more thing, do need to have the ground glass changed? right now the camera has a 1.85 + TV safe ground glass in it.

or can i work with the ground glass that is installed?

and do i need a special mask or anything like that?

thank you so much again!

mark

p.s. sorry for the double post, didn't know where to start the thread.

thank you francesco for your prompt reply!

you're welcome, Mark!

do need to have the ground glass changed? right now the camera has a 1.85 + TV safe ground glass in it.

there are regular 35 and super35 ground glasses, so obviously you'd want to put the right one in: there's a ground glass guide that can be downloaded fromthe Arri website, in the camera configuration overviews section, along with mask(s) you may want to use. I think you should check that out and also call the rental house before the check out.

Hope this was helpful!

thank you so much francesco again!

since you are online now and available to help,

what is the difference with ansi super 35 and din super 35.

i can search online, but i want to have factual info from someone like you who have experience regarding it.

again thank you!

mark

what is the difference with ansi super 35 and din super 35.

i can search online, but i want to have factual info from someone like you who have experience regarding it.

I don't have TONS of experience with it, I'm sure there are people around here who know a lot more than I do :-)

Anyway, I may be wrong about this, but if I remember correctly, ANSI and DIN refer to industry standards, and I think ANSI S35 is the one currently used, being slightly larger and using a bigger area of the negative. I'll look for more info around and see if I can find a more precise answer for you. :-)

just one more thing, do need to have the ground glass changed? right now the camera has a 1.85 + TV safe ground glass in it.

and do i need a special mask or anything like that?

Mark,

Are you printing your project, or going through a D.I. ?

To back up what Francesco said,

You'll need to change the G.G. and the Arri Glow mask from the N35 to the S-35 version. If the rental house set the camera to S-35, they SHOULD have changed the G.G. While looking through the finder, the G.G. identification ( depending on the format of the G.G. ) will show at the bottom of the frame. Example: T.V.Safe (S-35) will be printed on the G.G. , BUT, reference the Guide for the correct Arri markings.

Arri Ground Glass Guide

As for the "mask", for S-35 you want to use the "Universal" mask to take advantage of all the silver available. I use the ansi S-35 markings for the reasons Arri explained, use all the available silver.

Charlie

hey francesco and charlie!

our shoot was done, thank you for all the help and enlightenment that you have given me... appreciate it!

we went on to shoot super 35, good to say, it's a easy shoot.. and the to set the 435 on super 35 was quite easy too.

was able to check evrything, according the the tips you gave me!

again, thank you!

p.s.

if time comes that you would need help with arri d21, arri alexa, and the weisscam HS2.. just drop me a message! i also work as DIT for this cams on the side, and quite knowledgeable about the cams!

cheers!

hey francesco and charlie!

our shoot was done, thank you for all the help and enlightenment that you have given me... appreciate it!

we went on to shoot super 35, good to say, it's a easy shoot.. and the to set the 435 on super 35 was quite easy too.

was able to check evrything, according the the tips you gave me!

again, thank you!

You're welcome, Mark! Glad the shoot went smoothly, but I was sure about it, the 435 is a really good camera!

p.s.: if time comes that you would need help with arri d21, arri alexa, and the weisscam HS2.. just drop me a message! i also work as DIT for this cams on the side, and quite knowledgeable about the cams!

I'll surely will, thanks for the offer! ;-)