technocrane horizontal libra ( bill pope mount )?

Rob Fischer

anyone got any pics of a libra mounted horizontally on a technocrane , ie on the same line as the arm , straight out the front . I need to make up the bracket and am curious on specs of how you did it .

Hey Rob,

I made a bracket for it but never had to use it. I'll try and dig up some pictures. It was a Mitchell to mitchell 90 degree plate for a push through a window. Hope we are talking about the same thing.

3-D ? Can the Libra handle 3D ? I was shooting at studio Bablesberg in Berlin a few days ago, and they were shooting 3 Musketeers in 3D on the next stage, It was on a techno 30 but with a new stabilised head I've never seen before. It comfortably took the weight of the 2 Alexa cameras on the Pace 3D rig. The head was substantially lighter than a flight head or a G3. But worked great. The guy who built it was the tech .

we have the new upgraded libra . the blue stripe . We are using reds on a paradise 3D rig , they tell me it is a smaller rig than the pace , but the libra can handle the pace too . the brackets drop it down alot and the distance from the bottom of the camera to the top of the crane nose is almost 5 feet or so . this screws me for tight passages and rooms with normal ceilings because i can barely get to eye height without hitting the roof . I therefore want to do the horizontal Libra setup . I will lose alot of pan ( now the 3rd axis ring of the libra ) but have a much smaller top to bottom profile.

does the new head they have work on the same principal as the g3 or flighthead? I find these heads have to much lateral movement when faced tighter lensed tracking stuff.

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

Hey Rob,

didn't have time to get into details of the rig, (I was playing truant from my set), but it looked really different from any of the other heads. It would not work mounted sideways, because the roll axis is not a true 360 degree roll. It runs on what Ilooks like the guide rails from the Ronford slider, but curved on the roll axis., but it gives you only about 120 degrees of roll. It is huge and seems very rigid. It also seems adjustable (in the same way as a lambda head) to compress it to exactly the dimensions of the camera.

On a separate note, I start on my 1st 3d film in March, and I am not looking forward to it.

The cameras look like car crashes, with all the wiring hanging all over the place. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

hey rob,

we've just been having the same problem with the imax on mi4, we wanted to do the same rig you're talking about but the weight is too much for the pan bearing of the libra (we're also using a modified blue stripe) i ended up using the front mount but with a 90 degree plate and hanging the head on that, so we basically lost the auto horizon and mounted the head on the same height as the top of the arm. saved us 16 inches with iso damp gone as well. here is the mount on the moviebird, showed this to our libra head tech and he says it's only possible with a light camera package (nothing more than a 435 with a lightweight zoom) post-31014-005309500 1289067470.jpg

cheers Ian . our 3d rig and libra weighs in at 80 kg's i have nick phillips here with me ( Mr Libra ) He reckons it is absolutely fine to put the rig on the front nose mount of the techno . the only thing i cant do is put it on a tracking car like that , which is a shame cos that's where i need this configuration . he showed me a pic of the pace 3D rig in the same mod with no issues

(much heavier than my rig )