t2i Glow

Joel VanZeventer

This is a still from a wedding I shot with a t2i with my nikon 50mm f1.4. I was shooting at f1.4 with a 1/2000 shutter speed. As you can see, I'm trying to understand why there is an odd glow around the people, especially the pastor and the brides head. (yeah I know real happy bride huh?) ;)

Anyways it doesn't look natural and if any one has insight into this I'd love to hear it.

Joel

post-46780-074232500 1288367443.jpg

The glow is by areas of huge overexposure, expose properly & the problem should go away.

This is true. Although I believe I exposed properly for their faces. If I did, than there is nothing I can do in a situation like this when I am not in control of lighting. Would ND filters have helped? Or closing down the iris and adjusting shutter accordingly?

• Premium Member

Had you closed down a bit and under-exposed the faces slightly it should've helped. it looks to me like that area of the sensor is just overloaded.

also you must use your real name to post here, this can be changed under the "display name," settings under "my settings," on the drop down menu on the upper right corner of the page.

• Premium Member

This is true. Although I believe I exposed properly for their faces. If I did, than there is nothing I can do in a situation like this when I am not in control of lighting. Would ND filters have helped? Or closing down the iris and adjusting shutter accordingly?

You have to expose the photo properly, pretty sure setting the camera to AUTO would have done better.

• Premium Member

I agree it's a massively overloaded sensor. You have to remember that, while you may have exposed for their faces, your photograph doesn't just contain faces. Without the control to light the area and cut down the contrast, this is the result. You probably could have stopped down a bit and then opened the shadows back up in post. That veil may have ended up just as blown out but you may have ended up with a sharper looking image.